Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 14th, 2017 19:00

Alienware Aurora R6 clicking noise

So I've looked it up for a bit but I can't find anything definitive on the matter. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the PSU but it doesn't look like anything is colliding with the fan. I'm not sure what it could be.

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPi2P8DspOo:550:0]

Here's a video of the problem. I'm kind of sure it's not a HDD problem but you never know. Anyone have an idea of what it is? It's brand new.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 15th, 2017 12:00

Dell sent me a new 850w to cure Power-Supply fan "bearing rattling problem". When I swapped from Huntkey to Delta, I made these notes. I also individually market all case plugs, and connected in exactly the same original orientation (the back of both Power-Supplies are identical). I made these notes:

R1-R6 are Black Sockets and for PCIe power for video cards. R3-R6 are filled.
R7-R9 are Red Sockets for "CPU/MB".

- R7 goes the GPU-PWR header on motherboard (it apparently provides power for the PCIe slots).
R10-R12 are for "HDD/ODD". I think 2 of them are used.
R13-R16 are one of each color, and all 4 are for the "ATX Connector" (motherboard)

If R3-R4 and R5-R6 are for video cards, maybe you should try moving one of yours to R3-R4. Or, just use a single plug from both sets.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 16th, 2017 10:00

Keep in Mind that N1WJD comes with a LOT of cables.

QtyPart #Description
1MD63VASSY PCIE Power Cable, 8 Pin, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1JX68GASSY 2nd GFX PCIE Cable, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1GP6MVASSY CPU Power Cable, 4 Pin, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1G2GX9ASSY HD+HD Power Cable, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1G9Y40ASSY 1st GFX PCIE Cable, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1654MTASSY Main Power Cable, 24 Pin, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
14NT8RASSY HD+ODD Power Cable, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)

AREA 51 Power Supply  N1WJD

CABLES

1 Message

October 22nd, 2017 17:00

My R6 is about two months old and has started making this same noise. Please advise.

5 Posts

October 24th, 2017 13:00

Thanks to those who have furnished information to help tweaking the problem (tesla1856 and speedstep).

I did not have time to post back since. Will "play" with the cable to see if a different connector pattern can help.

The issue is not solved for the moment. Of course the PC is operational and the noise problem does not affect performance, so no technical emergency.

HOWEVER:

considering the quantity of client who report this problem,

considering that to have the 850W power supply, we choose an upgrade ($$) to the base level PSU,

considering all other component of the alienware are of good quality,

It is not cool to think about replacing a PSU for a "better one" when you already ordered the best one at alienware      

It is not cool to not see more proactivity on alienware's side to assess this issue (other than an unofficial statement about a bios update... which i doubt will change the hardware behavior of the psu).

Not sure where to send my thought, will find an address somewhere.

Don't want either to be rude and garbage all Alienware, I am more than pleased with all other aspect of the computer, as well as my prior aurora which was highly functionnal for more than 7 years! (With a few upgrades and love here and there as time goes by   ).

Good day to all

2 Posts

November 4th, 2017 22:00

Exactly the same problem. And not able to send PM.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2017 12:00

‌ Can you authorize me to PM?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 6th, 2017 15:00

Hi,

Sure, I just authorized you.

1 Message

November 11th, 2017 12:00

Hello! I am having this clicking PSU problem as well, but I cannot see how to PM. Please advise. Thank you. 

1 Message

November 14th, 2017 16:00

I am unable to PM you. My Aurora R6 has been having the same issue. Please help! thx

5 Posts

November 14th, 2017 21:00

Have posted the same question and a lot of information 3 weeks ago. Did not receive any official answer or statement from alienware, nor been authorize yet to PM Alienware-Rodrigo.

To M. Alienware-Rodrigo: If you have any possible solution to this clicking noise / intense coil whining issue from the PSU please advise.

Yours, thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 14th, 2017 22:00

Where is your other post?

LouisB1979 

If you want, you can just go ahead and call Phone Support.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 15th, 2017 06:00

Hi,

You should be able to PM now. Please include your Service Tag and a detailed explanation of the problem.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi,

I'm sorry we missed your message, you should be able to PM now. Please include your Service Tag and a detailed explanation of the problem.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi,

You should be able to PM now. Please include your Service Tag and a detailed explanation of the problem.

1 Message

December 19th, 2017 17:00

can you help me i also have same issue

No Events found!