Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2015 14:00

Alienware Command Center Windows 10 , fan speed issues. Mostly cabinet fans

Hello Guys!

For a couple of days back I upgraded from win7 64-bit to win 10 64-bit. After a few days more my fans just started to "boost" themselves up like crazy.

The only way im able to keep them calm, is to set it to manual speeds.

But what is recommended manual speed exactly? what will happen when i game?

I really wish to have this back to normal again. When alienware thermal controls was in charge. Then life was good and smiling. Now im almost on the edge to roll back to win 7 (again after one failed sata controller driver update that whent south pretty fast) and never upgrade this pc again im afraid.

It is an Alienware Aurora ALX . at least 5 years old i think.

Anyone here who can help me with this?

This is what i have tried so far:

Un-installed Command center. Downloaded and intsalled new one for win 8.1 (newest i found). Result: No luck!

Read alot on forums. Result: No luck or any clue!

Have a nice day!

Kindest regards from 

Per 

5 Posts

February 28th, 2016 02:00

Setting the control to manual, using curves, only worked once inside windows (after login). 

Reinstalling the Command Center it in compatibility mode with Windows 8 worked for me even before login, thank you! :)

7 Posts

February 29th, 2016 12:00

Yeah i know that it only works after login, and re-installing CC in Comp win 8 fixes the issue for many users even before log in. At the same time Re-installing With comp 8 mode doesnt work for all of us, and it aint a user issue. In my opinion its in the different type of hardware combined With different types of firmware/ SW. (the main issue to many other challenges)

On my PC it did not work With the re-install. So im still using the manual settings. And it fixes many other issues for me as well. I can now (after the usage of it over time) have more Control over the noise the pc makes. At the same time i can set the the temperature lvl to chose how fast the fan should go to cool it Down to the wanted degree. actually a pretty precise structure :)

That said, im still waiting for the win 10 fix :)

Have a Nice day/night folks!

Kindest regards from Per

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 12:00

I said too soon that it reinstalling the Command Center win compatibility mode with Windows 8 worked for fixing the fan speed before logging into Windows. That solution has worked for me only for 3 days ... not a big success ...

Actually, everything worked fine for me with Windows 10 for more than one month without doing anything. This problem with the fans going to 100% speed without reason (temperature is fine, around 22º) appeared suddenly and without warning, as it has happened to other people posting here.

I've also tried dissipation and enabling the Sensor Monitoring Service, but none of them has fixed the fan speed at 100% at startup. 

The Command Center still works well for me if I set it at manual mode and using a curve, but it only takes control of the fans after logging in into Windows.

I am waiting for a Wndows 10 fix, too :)

5 Posts

March 5th, 2016 03:00

Things went even worse yesterday. All temperature sensors went mad. In the Thermal controls panel, one sensor indicated 0º and the other 64º ... as a result, fans were running again at 100% speed even after logging in into Windows.

I then tried the following:

1.- Remove Command Center and remove Support Assist

I did a complete uninstall of the 2.08.11 version of Command Center and Support Assist following these steps posted by Cass-Olé:

1. Uninstall Alienware Command Center, Dell Support Assist Agent and Dell Support Assist from the Control Panel > Programs and Features.

1A. Go to C:\ProgramData\Alienware and delete Alienware folder (if it is there)

1B. Go to C:\Users\xxxYour Account Name Folderxxx\Appdata\local\Alienware (delete AW folder if it is there)

1C. Go to C:\Users\xxxYourAccount Name Folderxxx\Appdata\roaming\Alienware (delete AW folder if it is there)

2. Restart the computer 

3. Download and Run CCleaner's registry cleaner to remove left over keys from the old Command Center uninstall. {http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner }

4. Open Regedit (Winkey + R...Type Regedit), press control + F. In find what type Alienware and make sure the keys, data, and value is checked and click find next. After deleting each object (key, value, or data) related to Alienware press F3 to find the next Alienware location and delete. Repeat until done. DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING IN THE SYSTEM INFORMATION FOLDER WHEN YOU GET THERE.

4. Verify that the device manager doesn't have any unknown devices under Universial Serial Bus Controllers. If there are unknown devices see note

5. Shutdown the computer.

6. Drain the power for 1 minute.

Note: If there are unknown devices on the device manager, or no device is detected please do the following: a. Verify the Master I/O board USB cable is properly connected to the motherboard and to the Master I/O board. b. Drain the MB power for 1 minute.

After that, all problems with the fans speed were gone. 

The fans were behaving normally at startup, inside windows and during shutdown (i.e. always).

After that, I reinstalled again the Command Center (not Support Assist).

2.- Install Command Center

Install version 2.08.09 of Command Center (the old one I had) without any compatibility mode, I just installed it for Windows 10.

I left the fan control to default (automatic) inside the Thermal controls options, and everything works fine for now. Normal temperature values and normal fan speed at startup, inside Windows and during shutdown.

I hope this situation lasts longer than last one, at least one month before fans turn mad again  ...

30 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 04:00

The fans are fine - It is a .NET issue with Alienware command center and a pre-upgrade system file installed by Microsoft without asking permission. 

Command Center has always been a pain for me (4 years)  and Alienware has never  been very interested in fixing it. The only answer was "reinstall it" but they have not updated command center in 4 years.

If it makes you feel better it is 100% a Win 10 problem which affects MANY other programs 

Backup programs (like carbonite) and system utilities (CCleaner / System Mechanic) or any program that deal directly with the hardware at a very LOW (programmatically) level  is an issue.

MS is beginning to acknowledge they DO have a problem. I stopped an auto install of Win 10 (fortunately) and now MS reports that my R4  is not ready for Win 10.

The problems with Win 10 seem to be many and they go down to BIOS, RAM, CONTROLLERS, USB, CPU etc.

I guess MS will admit they  #ued up eventually and we will see the 10.1 version.

Nothing new with MS.

30 Posts

Sorry but 

IT DOES NOT WORK  on ANY mode. Eventually it will crash.

As I mentioned on another post it is a Microsoft "update" to insure Windows 10 compatibility in the machine
this update is done "behind" your back. I have my settings set to NO UPDATES. But MS has done it regardless.
I repeat Alienware "Command Center" is pretty unreliable and this has been a .NET framework problem for 4 years but used to be a once a year issue now it breaks once a week.
Look at event viewer see what else is throwing errors.
I am a member of Microsoft Dev Network  and Win 10 seems to be another PIG with new PC problems appearing as more people install it.
Backup (like Carbonite) and PC utilities seem to be particularly vulnerable of course MS denies all responsibility but this is getting to the point nearing a law suit from user groups.

30 Posts

I still have Win 7.1 64-bit and I am having the same problem.
This may not have been Win 10 itself but a Pre-Win10 install package that Microsoft pushes to you (whether you ask or allow it) to "insure" Win 10 compatibility. The problem is that it has broken several of my programs.

Being HONEST the thermals on Alienware were never very good. They always had a problem with Windows .NET framework but this sudden fan speed up to max began just recently (and as I mentioned) after a forced Microsoft update.

You may want to look at Command Center and take a look at "Thermal Controls"
AFter you get that surge your temperatures should not display properly

you will see 32F or 0C on the sensors system fan 0 RPM CPU Pump =FAIL etc.

Shutting down for about 2 minutes  and rebooting will fix it , until the next time you hear the fans go crazy.
You may want to open the box and see if the fans are indeed working (even though command center reports 0(Zero) RPM.

I can tell you by experience that NONE of Alienware fixes have worked including a reinstall of Command Center and the .NET frameworks. This is ALL a Windows 10 preparation or installation issue and I can tell you Alienware is NOT going to talk to Microsoft about it.

Other programs this *** "update" broke were

Carbonite
CCleaner
System Mechanic
Skype (keeps reporting there is an upgrade)
MS OFFICE 2013 (<- this toon only a REPAIR from Program Manager)
And a few other minor issues appearing as ERRORS on Event Viewer

Shoot back a response if any other programs are throwing errors (look in Event Viewer)
Good luck

12 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 10:00

I'm glad that you wrote this.

I was on Win10 for nearly a month and then my fans freaked out.  I did several re-installs of command center and I eventually got it to work for a few days.  Then I had to reboot for patches and it was messed up again.

The thing that concerns me about this is that Win10 is a limited free upgrade, and by and large I think it's a good looking OS.  But either Dell or Microsoft needs to fix this and it needs to be a package.  Not tons of manual steps for people to perform.

I've got a machine that I spend nearly $3,000 on, I shouldn't have to fix things like this.

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 11:00

I have to say that, almost 20 days after I did all what I explained in my previous post on March the 5th, I haven't had any other problem with the fans. Everything is working fine for me.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

The fans are fine - It is a .NET issue with Alienware command center and a pre-upgrade system file installed by Microsoft without asking permission. 

Command Center has always been a pain for me (4 years)  and Alienware has never  been very interested in fixing it. The only answer was "reinstall it" but they have not updated command center in 4 years.

You might have some kind of hardware problem.

Do you have Alienware desktop machine connected to a good UPS (like APC) so Power-Supply is getting power 24/7/365 (even though it might be off) ?

Overall, my Aurora-R1 (with Windows-7 Pro/64) has worked fine over the 5 years I owned it ... including Dot-Net versions, Alienware Command Center, and Windows-Updates. For me, maybe a minor issue once a year (that a simple Power-Dissipation procedure ended-up fixing).

Also, for a couple of weeks now on Windows-10 Pro/64.

In Win7-64, I use AWCC v2.8.9.0 .
In Win10-64, I use v2.8.11.0 ... installed in Win8-Compatibility-Mode (only that one check-mark in Compatibility TroubleShooter).

If you ever get "100% out-of-control fans" problem, try (it this order):

- Simple Shut-Down (ends up being a reboot) and Power Dissipation
- Run Dell Diags (outside Windows) for testing of MIO-Board. Sometimes this resets it.
- Try an uninstall and clean-reinstall of AWCC (with some Power-Dissipations and reboots mixed in for good measure).

AWCC "Clean-Install" is: Uninstall old, reboot, install new, reboot. Turn off Auto-Updates in AWCC and never allow AWCC-Updates to happen that way.

If you find that your machine is having a problem determining it's current Power State ... ie the AlienFX lights sometimes don't correspond to ON - OFF - SLEEP ... properly, try:

- Disabling Fast-Startup in Win8/Win10
- Disable Hibernation

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I have to say that, almost 20 days after I did all what I explained in my previous post on March the 5th, I haven't had any other problem with the fans. Everything is working fine for me.

Thanks for taking the time to post with your results.
This thread now contains some useful info (based on our personal experiences) of keeping these (older, but perfectly good) Alienware desktop machines working and in-the-field ... even after the upgrade to Windows-10/64.

30 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 12:00

How about a technician being at my home for two days building me a new system ?

And yes of course I am using a VERY expensive UPS .

Off the bat your message makes no sense .. How do you make stability comparisons with your R1 and my R4

Thanks for your input but I have been a PC engineer since Microsoft was in Albuquerque NM and Bill Gates was "Trey". Two of my PC designs have made it to the Space Shuttle, so I "believe" I know what I am doing.

And BTW ANYONE who suggests a "clean" reinstall is truly not helping.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 13:00

Off the bat your message makes no sense .. How do you make stability comparisons with your R1 and my R4

Same OS.

Same MIO-Board and other components.

Similar Intel chipset-based motherboard.

Same v2.8.x Alienware Command-Center. Unless you are running a v3.x release (but even then, based on the same/similar code-base).

Just trying to help. Like I said, sounds like you might have an isolated hardware-problem. I hope you or the technicians can find it.

Agreed, there are always exceptions to "blanket statements". We both posted some, when actually we are just stating our personal experiences, with our particular machines.

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 19:00

Reinstalling CmndCntr is the most basic process we're taught here:

• "Uninstall the Alienware Command Center from your system
  • Uninstall the .NET Framework 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5
  • Restart the computer. Install the .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.5
  • Download the latest Alienware Command Center from our website and install it
  • If issue persists please go to "Control Panel", "Programs and Features" and choose uninstall Command Center, when setup loads, run the "Repair" option
  • This will solve any software corruption in the AlienFX firmware while installing"

Now substitute will with 'may':

• * If this doesn't work, please uninstall and reinstall Command Center again. This might take several times to uninstall and reinstall before it starts working correctly
  • * Hossmcd wrote - It reported that a firmware update had not gone to completion when a previous tech had uninstalled the old Command Center and installed the latest one. After uninstalling and reinstalling the Command Center again my situation appears to be back to normal. The Command Center now communicates with the MAIN I/O board. The fans, lights, and venting  work as designed.

Uninstall the Alienware Command Center

• Make sure the Master IO Filter Driver is removed from Device Manager
  • If it is yet there, remove it manually
  • Turn off the system and drain all power from the computer
  • Turn the system back on
  • Download and install the latest Alienware Command Center Software 
  • Restart the computer

What if Command Center is not working properly?

• Alienware Command Center may stop behaving as expected after a recent software or hardware change, example a Windows or Driver update. If this happens it's recommended to:
  • Drain all power from the computer

This process consists of:

• Turn off the computer
  • Unplug the power cable and battery (for laptops)
  • Press & hold power button for about 20 seconds (the computer is not expected to turn ON)
  • Reconnect the power cable
  • Turn the system on
  • Update the computer BIOS to the latest version available at dell.com/support
  • Uninstall and Reinstall the Alienware Command Center Software

@Niccolò ‏

Technical Writing is an undergraduate level course meant to hone the skill of imparting intelligent meaning from one to other; Sir, your meanderings & casuistry here thrice & whence two years ago by no means bear the hallmark nor imprimatur of a Man of Science.

persona non grata

> fix it yourself <

5 Posts

May 7th, 2016 01:00

Just today, fans have gone crazy again. It seems they can only work fine for two months. Is there a timer somewhere that fires something new two months after the initial install?

I am going to repeat all the process of deinstallation and reinstallation again ...

No Events found!