Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2013 10:00

Alienware M15x dedicated GPU not detected

Hey.  I had a bad virus that apparently corrupted Windows.  The last time it crashed, it was unable to startup again.  I tried using AlienRespawn, but it didn't seem to be there.  Pressing F10 brought up some screen to enter some sort of boot code or something.  I didn't want to mess with that.  I ended up resorting to the recovery disk.  The label says that it will restore your PC to factory settings.  Apparently, that wasn't the case.  I was only given options to install Windows 7, create/delete partitions, or format the hard drive.  Anyway, I re-installed Windows 7, and managed to save all my files.  When it was finished, all I had was Windows 7.  None of the Alienware software was saved or restored.  That issue isn't too important to me, but I noticed that my dedicated GPU is no longer recognized.

I'm not entirely sure exactly which model it is.  I remember custom-ordering the laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GT 240M with 1.5 GB of GDDR5, and I have the drivers for that from my resource disk; however, the last time I looked in the device manager before I reinstalled Windows, it said that I had an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M.  Now, it lists the display adapter as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".  I talked with a friend of mine, who really knows his stuff, and he informed me that laptops with high-end dedicated GPUs can have a tendency to act up after a system recovery, and switch to using just the integrated GPU, and that this setting can usually be changed in the BIOS.  Unfortunately, there was nothing in BIOS in regards to the GPU.  Furthermore, my device manager also lists a bunch of unknown and base system devices that aren't running, because they have a problem.  I'm new to these forums, and I'm not sure how image hosting works here, so I'll need some help if you guys want a screenshot.  If anyone can help me fix this, I will greatly appreciate it.  General PC specs are listed below.

Model: Alienware M15x

CPU: Intel i3 M370 @ 2.40 GHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M with 1.5 GB of GDDR5 (questionable, see details above)

RAM: 3 GB DDR2

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

October 10th, 2013 22:00

Hi DwayneG,

I apologize for the  inconvenience that has been caused to you.

The Graphics Card Drivers are not installed on the system, that is why you are getting Standard VGA Graphics Adapter under Device Manager. Once you install the Video Drivers, you will be able to see the name of Graphics Card installed on your system there. Alienware M15X was shipped with following two graphics cards:

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M
  • Nvidia GeForce GT 240M

You will need to install the drivers of the one that came installed on your system. Please share the screenshot of the Device Manager, so that I can check and assist you with drivers installation. Also, you may refer to the article How to reinstall drivers in the correct order or video of Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Drivers in the Correct Order.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

9 Posts

October 11th, 2013 09:00

I hadn't seen the Insert/Edit Media button there.  The screenshot is below.  I'm now going to try reinstalling all the drivers in the correct order.  I'll post my results when I finish or encounter a problem.

Thanks,

DwayneG

1447.deviceManager.png

9 Posts

October 11th, 2013 19:00

Thank you.  My dedicated GPU is working again.  I also found several other drivers that I still needed.  There's still one last driver, which the website doesn't seem to be giving me.  A quick search on Google suggests it might be for a freefall sensor.  I don't remember reading about that coming with my laptop, but it's been nearly 4 years since the time I really looked through the specs that closely when I ordered it.  See the screenshot below for the hardware IDs of the unknown device.

3201.SMO8800.png

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

October 12th, 2013 01:00

Hi DwayneG,

Yes, you are correct, this indicates that ST Microelectronics DE351DL Free Fall Sensor driver is missing. You may install the driver from the link http://dell.to/1cGrQJO. Download the driver and follow the onscreen instructions to install it.

Share the results, I'll be happy to assist further.

9 Posts

October 12th, 2013 11:00

Thanks again.  I no longer have any unknown devices or anything like that listed in my device manager.  I think I'm all set now.

UPDATE: Actually, there is one other thing.  I wasn't able to reinstall the Alienware Command Center.  There was some issue with dependencies.  I think it was called Quicksilver or something.  Can you please help me get that stuff back too?

Thanks,

DwayneG

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

October 15th, 2013 02:00

Hi DwayneG,

Apologies for a delayed response as I was out of office. Glad to know that all the drivers are installed. Please try downloading and installing the Alienware Command Center from the link http://dell.to/1fzaekg. Follow the onscreen instructions to install it.

Hope this helps.

9 Posts

October 18th, 2013 09:00

The installation failed.  Here's a screenshot of the error message:

8306.commandCenterError.png

Is there a way to fix this?

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

October 19th, 2013 04:00

Hi DwayneG,

Please download and save the driver on the desktop. Right click on the driver and select the option of Run as Administrator to install it. Check if you still receive any error message. Also, refer to the link How to Uninstall and Reinstall Alien Command Center for more help.

Hope this helps. Please share the results.

9 Posts

October 28th, 2013 10:00

I think that almost worked, however, my PC crashed just as installation was getting finished.  I've been getting quite a few of these lately, and my Windows updates repeatedly fail to install as well.  I'm thinking I might need a new hard drive, b/c I've gotten a few disk I/O error messages.  I'm really hoping that's not the case, as circumstances in my life are different now than they were when I got this computer, so I lack the funds to simply order a new hard drive right now.  Here's an image of one of the blue screens I've gotten.

5381.IMG_0025.JPG

It was difficult to get a picture of that, as they disappear so quickly.  I don't know if this will be useful or not with the right side slightly cut off like that.

As for the Alien Command Center, as soon as I got back into Windows, I got this:

5810.AlienFXControllerError.jpg

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

October 29th, 2013 04:00

Hi DwayneG,

Please run hardware diagnostics on the system to confirm hardware functionality. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

Also, follow the steps shared in the video from the link http://dell.to/153NeEh. Share the results, of the Blue Screen Analyzer tests.

Awaiting your response!

9 Posts

November 13th, 2013 07:00

I just managed to run the diagnostics.  The hard drive test failed.  Here's a screenshot.

IMG_0031.JPG

I'll see what I get from the Blue Screen Analyzer tests, and post those results when I get them.

UPDATE: I just finished running the Blue Screen Analyzer tests.  Everything was fine, except for the hard drive.  The following tests failed: Targeted Read Test, Random Seek Test, and Linear Read Tests 1 and 2.  I think the SMART Short Self Test and SMART Threshold Test 2 failed as well.  The analyzer doesn't really give you much time to look at the individual test results.  It just switches back to the screen where I get to select options to scan for viruses, run system diagnostics, etc. as soon as it's finished running the tests.

9 Posts

November 27th, 2013 19:00

So, is there anything I can do to fix this, or does the SSD need to be replaced?

Thanks,

DwayneG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 27th, 2013 19:00

So, is there anything I can do to fix this, or does the SSD need to be replaced?

Find out who made the HDD or SSD. Download that manufacturer's low-level diagnostics and check it. There is usually a "destructive to existing data" surface scan that will write zeros to the whole disk. This will set-aside any bad sectors and re-allocate them to the spare space. Also, try to see what SMART data says before and after.

If you can finally get a good quick or long surface scan, the disc MIGHT be good enough to use again. PSA should also give drive a Pass.

Once the hardware is all good, you will have to clean install Windows7-64 again from scratch. See my Favorite posts.

9 Posts

November 29th, 2013 09:00

Thanks Tesla.  I have a Samsung SSD PM810 2.5" 256 GB ATA device.  I went to Samsung's site, but it seems to be broken.  I can't search for anything without the model number, and, apparently, "PM810" isn't it.  Furthermore, browsing through products for support is entirely broken, as the interface does not allow you to proceed beyond selecting the "Memory & Storage" category.  I could probably get around this mess through their live chat feature, but I have other things I need to do today, so I was kinda just hoping to find out where the diagnostic tools are that I'll need, so that I can get to them easily later.  That, and I doubt I have any sort of external storage device large enough to store the files that I really need to keep, and I currently lack the funds to purchase such a device.  It just so happens that I have several projects in Java and other languages, which I really just can't stand to lose.  So, I'll need a good while to save up for a decent external drive before I can proceed further.

Also, I noticed that, in your Favorite posts, the post you made for how to do a clean install of Windows 7 on an Alienware Desktop has some steps that involve messing with internal hardware ("Unplug the MIO-Board communication cable", etc.).  Since I'm using a laptop, would that stuff not apply to my system?  I've never worked inside a computer before, so excuse me if my question seems kinda stupid.  I know someone who has built his own rigs, so, if my PC will still need to be opened up, I know I won't have to worry about touching something wrong, and damaging the whole system beyond repair.

No Events found!