Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2016 09:00

Alienware M18x R1 8 beeps No display

My laptop was not showing anything on the screen when powered on plus 8 beeps. So I reset the BIOS and it worked normally. but when I restarted it again, the same problem occurred (no display with 8 beeps).

But everytime I reset the BIOS now and press the power button, it turns on for 1-2 secs (with NO display) and dies (restarts) and goes back to 8 beeps again. Did I corrupt my BIOS? Can some please help me with this? 

November 5th, 2016 22:00

8 beeps means that the computer has a LCD Failure. The points of failure for this one might be the LCD Screen or the motherboard itself. Have you tried using a external monitor to check if it works normally? Also, do check if you are also able to run on board diagnostics to the computer.

2 Posts

November 5th, 2016 22:00

Thanks Squirrel. What I dont understand is that it did work initially after resetting the BIOS. But I think when second time I was resetting the BIOS, I might have short-circuited CMOS battery connector while the power adapter was connected (Not sure).

However, I did contact the external monitor but it didnt work. How do I run onboard diagnostic with no display?

901 Posts

November 6th, 2016 18:00

Typically 8 beeps means LCD screen, cable or connection failure - About 50% of the time.........

The other 50% is a faulty GPU, actually in my experience almost all 8 beeps problems I have had have been related to GPU's and not LCD screen, if you knew how a computer does a pre boot check you would understand.

When a computer boots up it checks quite a few things before anything appears on the screen, the GPU is checked BEFORE the LCD screen, so if the GPU is faulty and the laptop does not have intel graphics (like yours) then the computer cannot send a signal to the LCD screen and reports it as 8 beeps

Your does have Intel HD graphics, but the laptops needs to be told to boot into the (Fn F5 and reboot)

I suspect if you swap GPU 1 to GPU 0 you will get it to boot, there is no way to get to intel HD graphics without reaching you windows desktop first ( Fn & F5).

March 22nd, 2017 08:00

This is my problem also tried external monitor still no joy and I take it there is no way to revert to built in graphics with out first getting the computer on so I will have to replace or switch graphics cards ?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 11th, 2017 14:00

Hi Joshholt89‌,

If you still need help with this, send me a private message with the service tag.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 11th, 2017 14:00

Hi ‌, 

If you still need help with this, send me a private message with the service tag. 

1 Message

April 13th, 2017 06:00

Same problem with my 18x

Any solution available? 

2 Posts

April 14th, 2017 19:00

I have the same problem.  I hooked it up to another screen and am able to use the laptop. Does this mean I need to replace the screen?

I ran the diagnostics and it says everything, including the graphics card, is working fine.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 17th, 2017 09:00

Hi ‌,

Yes, if the system works fine on the external, then the issue will be the LCD or the LCD cable (cable that goes from the motherboard to the LCD). 

November 21st, 2017 13:00

Hey, did you fix it? i have the same problem

No Events found!