Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2010 00:00

Alienware MX15 Partitioning Problem

Hi All,

I have recently purchased an Alienware MX15 laptop. My problem is trying to create a partition using Paragon Partition Manager 11, where it does not allow me to do so because the hard drive contains partitions that cannot be moved.

I have been suggested to use Windows 7's internal partition manager, however the size of partition is quite limited.

Has anyone else had this issue or have a solution? My thoughts were to delete the non-removable partitions (which i believe to be are the Recovery and DellUttility) and proceed to extend the primary before trying to partition. Any other thoughts?

Thanks and regards,

JL

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 21st, 2010 13:00

It likely won't install because it needs a dedicated Primary Partition, and your system already has 3 (which is the limit per. physical drive).

The Windows 7 boot manager does NOT require it's own dedicated partition to work.

Why are you trying to use Paragon Partition Manager 11? What is your goal?

2 Posts

November 21st, 2010 22:00

Thanks for your reply.

I want to create another partition separate to the boot partition to run all games, software, movies etc and keep the boot partition clean.

No particular reason to use Paragon but to create a partition.

Would it be recommended to delete the other partitions to make room?

Cheers,

JL

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 21st, 2010 23:00

If you want to be able to possibly use the Restore partition in the future, leave it. If you need the space ... erase it.

You don't need Paragon PM to do what you want to do. The Windows 7 Partition Manager will work fine.

If you want detailed help, you will have to describe your partitions because I think they are setup different than the desktops.

I wouldn't delete the Diags Partition unless you can get a copy to run from bootable CD. You don't want to lose the ability the check the hardware outside of Windows 7.

Two copies of Windows 7 will take 2 of the 3 allowable Primary Partitions.

If you are hoping to keep and use your current Windows 7 install (keep it un-harmed and usable) as a safety measure, you really should Image Backup it with Acronis or similar. When you start messing with partitions, they have a habit of getting erased unexpectedly. Also:

1. You can shrink this partition, but you can't move where it starts.

2. When this partition becomes #2, instead of #3, it might require additional work to get it to boot again.

3. I'm pretty sure any additional Primary Partitions created to hold Windows has to be after this one on the drive.

Because of the way Dell has these machine setup, it's better to setup the Dual-Boot when it's new. That way, if something goes wrong ... you can just delete everything, install 2 copies of Windows 7 (fresh, with drivers, etc.) and THEN you are all set to start using the machine the way you want to.

It's also harder because (unlike a desktop) you can't add another physical drive.

No Events found!