Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2015 11:00

Alienware USB Type-C port to Firewire

I have an external Firewire Audio Inteface Device (MBOX 3 Pro) used for music mixing.

I want to connect my Alienware USB Type-C port to the Audio Interface Device's Firewire port.

If this is possible, what adapter cables will I need to make a USB Type-C to Firewire connection?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 17th, 2015 12:00

There is no such interface.

6 Posts

December 17th, 2015 13:00

Thanks.  I heard there was (1) a USB Type-C to Thunderbolt, and (2) I heard there was a Thunderbolt to Firewire.  So, I was thinking that you may be able to connect (1) and (2) together. 

February 6th, 2017 10:00

Hello did it worked? I need to do the same? How it worked for you?

Cheers

6 Posts

February 6th, 2017 21:00

I was able to connect my 17" Alienware R2 to my Focusrite Clarett 8Prex audio interface using a Thunderbolt 2 (big u shape) to Thunderbolt 3 (usb-c) adapter.  It also worked for my Macbook Pro Touch.  I ordered in from Apples website.  It is titled, "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-c) to Thunderbolt 2".

www.apple.com/.../thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 15th, 2017 08:00

The Focusrite Clarett 8Prex is a Thunderbolt 2 based Interface NOT FIREWIRE IEEE 1394.

In either case Dell DOES NOT support Apple Thunderbolt or Firewire interface cables or cards.  Nor does Apple support using these cables on Dell machines.

6 Posts

February 15th, 2017 08:00

Dell may not support Apple, and Apple may not support Dell, but the cable noted here works.  - the interface cable I ordered from apple described above was able to connect the Clarett 8PreX's Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C (thunderbolt 3) for my 2016 Dell 17" Alienware R2, and also for my 2016 MacBook Pro Touch.  This is the link where you can order the adapter if you are trying to connect the Clarett 8Prex (thunderbolt 2) to USB-C (Thunderbolt 3):

wwwwww.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?fnode=8b

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 15th, 2017 11:00

the cable noted here works.  - the interface cable I ordered from apple described above was able to connect the Clarett 8PreX's Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C (thunderbolt 3)

for my 2016 Dell 17" Alienware R2, and also for my 2016 MacBook Pro Touch. 

This is the link where you can order the adapter if you are trying to connect the Clarett 8Prex (thunderbolt 2) to USB-C (Thunderbolt 3):

www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2AM/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?fnode=8b

Thanks for reporting this compatibility.

I think this speaks to the fact that all dongles are not the same. I think they are a lot less generic than people think. Personally, I try to only use Genuine Apple dongles and adapters on my Apple computers and devices. I'm even careful with things like Lightning Cables and USB Chargers. 

6 Posts

February 15th, 2017 12:00

Oh I see the confusion....did you read the later posts?  I also have an MBox 3 Pro, and the original question was for that interface.  ...but later I picked up the Clarett 8prex, and it has a Thunderbolt 2, not a firewire, and so Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 Adapter works fine..

6 Posts

Let me know if you are interested in buying my MBox 3 Pro that was never used.  ..never got around to purchasing a Mac with firewire, or building a PC with firewire.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

The OP says FIREWIRE which is completely different.   The Clarett 8Prex  is NOT 1394 FIREWIRE.

"I want to connect my Alienware USB Type-C port to the Audio Interface Device's Firewire port."

No such interface Exists.

I am quite familiar with the AVID MBOX3 Pro FIREWIRE interface.

I use one on a MAC PRO with FIREWIRE ports.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 15th, 2017 13:00

While I wasn't using Apple back then, I always preferred Firewire-1394 on the PC (over USB-2). Always seemed more stable and worked better. I think I even prefer it over USB-3. Sorry to see it go away on PC.

No Events found!