Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2013 20:00

Alienware X51: Auto Reboot / Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered / Internal HDD not found

I have three intermittent problems that has plagued me for the last 9 months with the X51.

1. The system Auto Restarts itself with a Bluescreen error and Mini Memory dump once in a while randomly (i.e. when I am using Firefox (hardware acceleration turned off), gaming and even when idle.) I checked my windows log and it has occured 43 times.

2. My screen turns blank and turns back on with the pop up: "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered". Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 310.90 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

3. The scariest one is that it suddenly screens the "Cannot find internal HDD" error screen of death, and doesn't allow me to reboot for awhile. This does not happen as often as 1 and 2, and is quite a rare occurence. But like seeing a RRoD, even once can scare you.

My Alienware X51 comes with Intel i5, Windows 7 64 bit, 8 GB RAM, and GTX555. It had its motherboard replaced the first week I got the system due to intermittent shutdowns as the motherboard apparently did not use the fan on the GPU and it was getting overheated. These shutdowns occured within an hour of booting up. The change in motherboard seems to have solved this problem and I am grateful.

What I have done to address 1, 2 and 3, is what I have found in these forums:

1. Update to latest BIOS for the system (A11)

2. Uninstall Video Driver completely and Reinstal with latest driver NVidia Geforce Version 310.90 released in Jan 2013

3. Run AlienAutopsy full diagnostics which passed all the series of test on the Motherboard, GPU, RAM, etc.

4. Defrag and McAfree scan the PC just to make sure.

5. The PC is placed firmly on the desk and has good air circulation and is kept clean.

6. Lastly will be going back to try the Boot F12 Dell Diagnostics, just saw this recommendation.

Ths thing is the system is able to handle many of the games I throw at it well (i.e. Diablo 3, GW2, Starcraft 2, Borderlands 2, etc). I monitor the GPU fan speed and all seems in order during gaming, and most of the time all is well. So it drives me nuts when I leave the computer absolutely idle for a toilet break and comeback to see that it restarted itself and I have to log in again.

I have fallen short of opening up the system myself as I do not have the anti-static bands and mats always recommended and since the system is still covered under warranty, this does not seem worth the risk. I know this has been suggested to check the wiring and seating of the devices.

I am posting in this forum as I want to check if I am missing out anything before contacting Dell. If Dell sends a technician, I would need to take a day off just to fix it and thus want to provide him all the information to properly fix it within that day.

Also this post seeks to document the experience in case other X51 users face the same issues.

- Your slowly losing faith but still hopeful Dell Customer

PS: I am jealous that the new models get the 1.5 GB GTX660! But I will be sufficiently satisfied if my above concerns are fixed.

February 4th, 2013 09:00

Hello LexiusQ,

1. Check this article to verify the blue screen errors that your system is experiencing.

2. Make sure you performed the proper video driver update.

3. Ran a PSA test.

4 Posts

February 5th, 2013 07:00

Hi Karen,

Thanks for getting back to me.

What I have done till now on top of the 6 mentioned in my original post:

1. Identify that the Bluescreen is specifically the 0x116, the Video TDR error.

2. Carried out the latest windows update.

3. Using Chrome instead of Firefox.

4. Ran the F12 ePSA Diagnostics - Everything checked out.

The Bluescreen does not happen daily (not in the pass 2 days)... more of a random occurrence. That is the main reason I am finding it hard to nail down the cause of the problem.

If it does occur the next time, I will rollback my video driver 296.36 (the one on the Dell website for the GTX 555) and give it that a go. Currently I am using the latest NVIDIA Version 310.90.

Is there any way to check the integrity of the GPU Memory or Power Supply?

Or does the ePSA and AlienAutopsy already cover it?

158 Posts

February 5th, 2013 09:00

Yes, AlienAutopsy will check the integrity of the GPU Memory and Power Supply.

The 0x116 code is usually related to the GPU. Check out this article we wrote for that specific error.

To take care of this issue, be sure to perform a clean video driver installation. As soon as you're done, update .NET Framework 4.0 and DirectX.

4 Posts

February 6th, 2013 05:00

Did most of the things possible on the article. (1,2,3,4,6,9,10,11,12)

Did a clean video driver installation and updated DirectX and Net Framework.

*Fingers Cross*

Thanks guys.

March 1st, 2013 04:00

Hey dude. Even i'm having the exact same problem. I was playing hitman and the crash started. I realized it crashed often on firefox .. even i made the switch to chrome. And upgraded to A11 bios. i'm using nvidia driver 306.97 (i think) .. higher ones dont support skyrim enb series.  And worst part for me is .. warranty gonna expire in 4 days

4 Posts

March 4th, 2013 00:00

After carrying out all the actions I mentioned, and those recommended by Alienware folks.

I have not had an issue since 6 Feb 2013.

Recently updated my video driver to the latest one from Nvidia for the GTX 555.

And have been playing Witcher 2 with no issues for the last month.

Hopefully this keeps up and I do not have anymore bluescreen issues and that this helps for you too.

No Events found!