Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2013 06:00

Alienware X51 HDMI Not Working properly

So got my x51 a couple of days ago, along with my new sony bravia tv.

Straight away i used the nvidia HDMI port to hdmi on my tv and booted up for the first time

Noticed that during the entire process of windows 8 setup the screen flickered in and out of signal while i was going through the process.

Once id finished set up it lost signal entirely.

So i switched to the Intel onboard hdmi port and it worked fine.

But there was no sound. the only thing in devices was "Digital audio device" and not recognizing my tv as an audio output.

So u plugged in my old pc speakers (2.1) to get some sound.

I thought my this point the hdmi issure was driver related but checked and all drivers were up to date.

I then used DVI to vga adapter to connect it to my pc and it worked fine.

I also tried a DVI to HDMI adapter and this also worked perfectly.

However using these options, there is noticeable audio lag when watching videos which is a pain.

Just want the HDMI TO HDMI port to work properly, ive tried 3 different hdmi cables and also tried it on a pc monitor and another tv and they all have the same issue!

Think the HDMI port itself is faulty but will be really annoyed if i have to send it back to get it fixed already as its only 5 days old!

Any help would be appreciated! 

SETUP

I7 3770 3.4GHZ

8GB Ram

NVidia Geforce 660 1.5GB

1 Message

April 17th, 2013 05:00

I am having this same issue!

April 17th, 2013 13:00

1920x1080 full hd. the problem is strange, if plugged into the discreet card when turning on i see nothing untill the windows 8 start up screen (clock and image) i click to log on and theres red lines going down the screen, log on, loads of lines appear and the tv loses signal and i cant get it back again. I'm currently forced to use a dvi to hdmi adapter. only way i can get sound and picture through the tv at, but if i switch to the discrete card while browsing a webpage or on desktop the picture will come up. but if i go onto the windows 8 start menu, the red lines will appear again and it will lose signal with the tv!. No idea whats going on. Tried uninstalling and reinsalling the drivers with no luck, and dell customer service is terrible, keep telling me to try diffrernt things and can barley understand them because they are foreign so given up with them in the end! Also on another note, i did manage to get the sound working through the onboard hdmi port, and had it working for a few days, but left the pc running unattended for about an hour and a half, only to come back and find the picture had gone and cant get it back now what so ever! I know both hdmi ports are completly separate so no idea what the hell is going on! would appreciate any help!

835 Posts

April 17th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

What is the resolution of the TV or monitor that you are trying to connect?

835 Posts

April 19th, 2013 10:00

1920x1080 full hd. the problem is strange, if plugged into the discreet card when turning on i see nothing until the windows 8 start up screen (clock and image) 

Yes, that is normal behavior,  when the monitor is connected to the discrete graphics card, it will not show the POST screen.

Do you have a different monitor you can try? Also, it would be a good idea to try the display port.

No Events found!