Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2016 12:00

Alienware X51 R2 Will Not Power On

I bought a new Alienware X51 R2 in November. It was working fine until last week and now it won't power on at all. I'm not exactly impressed as I spent *a lot* of money buying a top of the line rig.

When I press the power button on the front of the computer, nothing happens at all. There is no fans turning, no lights turning on, no beeps or noises - just nothing. If I hit the power test button on the PSU then the lights do turn on, the fans come on also. So the system can get power, but the main power button does not work.

I have tried the following:

• Drained the system of all power.
  • Disconnected all peripherals.
  • Rechecked the power cable was plugged in fully.
  • Rechecked the power cable is not twisted or bent.
  • Plug the system into two different power extension leads.
  • Plug the system directly into six separate wall sockets.

None of these worked. Despite the fact that all the power leads/sockets I have do work and I can plug other devices into them.

I also opened up the case to see if I could see what was going on, but I couldn't. I suspect the front power button is simply the problem, but after opening the case I can't easily see what is going on and I don't want to disassemble the whole system (especially given I still have 1 year of support for it). While the case was open I was also looking for a test power button on the motherboard itself, but I could not see one.

I have already tried to contact technical support by email. I was told they would get back to me in 24 hours, its been 4 days and I still have no reply. So I'm trying here instead.

February 23rd, 2016 06:00

We're sorry to hear about that issue, at least it looks like it may be a simple fix. 

It seems like you need a front IO replacement. The button seems to be the culprit. We could either send it to our depot or send a tech with some parts.

Please send me your system's service tag on a PM and I'll do my best to help out.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 15:00

I sent you a PM with my service tag now.

Thanks.

February 24th, 2016 09:00

Thank you! I'll check my PM's and work with you through there. 

No Events found!