FreshyDeff
2 Iron

Alienware X51 wifi drivers freezing pc

Jump to solution
I've owned this thing for almost 1 yr and this is the first time I have come across a freezing problem. 1 day, I decided to upgrade all of my drivers off the dell support page and my pc hasn't been right ever since. My computer lags ever 2mins for about 1 min whenever I connect to a router via wifi. I spoke to a dell tech and was unsuccessful with solving the problem. I have all the correct drivers and just can't figure out why. The only its tops freezing is when I disconnect from wifi. I've went as far to even reformatting my hard drive more than twice and the problem still exist. Does anyone have any clue why this is happening or a way to solve this irritating problem? Help would be deeply appreciated at this point in time.
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
FreshyDeff
2 Iron

Re: Alienware X51 wifi drivers freezing pc

Jump to solution

@AndrewSi

I found a fix. Ur advice was close. i didnt work out all the way but pointed me in the right direction. Turning my power setting to performance did the trick and my computer no longer freezes or hangs when I use the Internet. I recommend that anyone having the same problem as is to just try changing ur power options to high performance and see if that works first. Thank you for the helpful idea AndrewSi. You actually helped me out man and I appreciate that. I still wouldn't had paid dell $100 dollars to fix this as they have called me after I posted this complaint. Trying and determination was all it took. I am good now brother. Again thx to u AndrewSi. My problem is now solved. Kudos and cheers.

0 Kudos
CsabaSz
1 Copper

RE: Alienware X51 wifi drivers freezing pc

Jump to solution

YESSS!!!! this fixed the problem. My pc was UNUSABLE! It took me around 10 minutes to click on the start button and go to control panel. I had enough of it and reset the pc. Started it in safe mode and switched it to power settings. No more annoying freezing hanging. Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies

Jump to solution

FreshyDeff,

What wifi card? What wifi driver is currently installed?

0 Kudos
FreshyDeff
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I have the first top model x51 that was released. I installed the bottom two drivers in the network section as advised by the dell tech over the phone. Any time I open a web browser, new tab, visit a website or do anything dealing with gathering information from the web, I go into constant freezing as stated above. Any advice?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) send me the service tag number for the desktop computer so I can look up the hardware configuration.

0 Kudos
FreshyDeff
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Charging me $100 to fix your garbage pc that I paid $1500 for. Should atleast be free because I haven't even had this pc for even a year. I can't believe this company. I felt betrayed and sick to my stomach because y'all already got my money and now charging me even more for its faulty equipment it shipped with. There are dozens of freezing complaints and the only thing I see out of this is take even more money from us when it's not even a tuff problem for you guys to solve. It is flat out bogus and I can't even explain the way I feel. People warned me and I should have listened. Why did I buy this thing. Nothing's worse than jipped, tricked, or like someone is getting over on u. So $1500 dollars is gone. What would y'all do if u were me in a similar situation. Sad thing is that It feels like y'all don't even care.

0 Kudos
AndrewSi
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Hiya Freshy - I think you havd a 1502 in your system, try one of these solutions and see if it fix's the problem.

1. Go to control panel, click view by: and change to small icons, find device manager and open that, find network adapters and open that, find your WiFi card there and open that, click on power management and open that, and UNCHECK "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"

Try uninstalling the dell wifi driver and run a program like driver sweeper to make sure it's completely gone, then get a driver for your wifi directly from the intel site, they are MUCH more up-to-date

0 Kudos
FreshyDeff
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Appreciate the suggestion. I will give that a shot and see if that helps. I will post back with results.

0 Kudos
FreshyDeff
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@AndrewSi

I'm not quite sure where to go on the intel site because I think this is a dell product. I go to the drivers section and the I click on wireless then from there I'm just not sure where to go because the site starts asking for the product and the 1502 isn't on the list. I'm being a noob right now but I'm will to take any help u can give me because before u gave me that idea, I was thinking about buying some other wireless solution.

Oh and just another update a little off topic. My friend is having the same issue with his alienware x51. Odd thing is, he turned his wireless off and tried running his Internet via hard wire and the same problem still exist. There is an answer. I just haven't came across it yet.

0 Kudos
FreshyDeff
2 Iron

Jump to solution

@AndrewSi

I found a fix. Ur advice was close. i didnt work out all the way but pointed me in the right direction. Turning my power setting to performance did the trick and my computer no longer freezes or hangs when I use the Internet. I recommend that anyone having the same problem as is to just try changing ur power options to high performance and see if that works first. Thank you for the helpful idea AndrewSi. You actually helped me out man and I appreciate that. I still wouldn't had paid dell $100 dollars to fix this as they have called me after I posted this complaint. Trying and determination was all it took. I am good now brother. Again thx to u AndrewSi. My problem is now solved. Kudos and cheers.

0 Kudos
morblore
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@AndrewSi

Hey FreshyDeff. Didn't it come with the standard 1 year warranty? Why would they try and charge you? Supposed to be in home service after remote diag yadda yadda for first year unless you extend it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

0 Kudos