Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2013 21:00

Alienware x51 2 HDMi ports

I noticed on the Alienware x51 it has 2 HDMI ports. One is the Intel, and the other is the GTX 660. I noticed i get better performance when i plug my Asus VE278Q monitor into the bottom HDMI port which is considered plugging straight to the Graphics card. The only Problem is the Colors look really washed out on the Monitor when gaming. But when i use the onboard intel the Colors look alot better for gaming. Is there anyway to fix this ? Thanks

3.3K Posts

May 27th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

Try to Uninstall and reinstall GeForce GTX 660:

Driver files should always be uninstalled before updating to newer drivers or when removing an older NVIDIA card and replacing it with a newer card. To uninstall your current NVIDIA Display Drivers from your system, follow these steps:

1. Go into your Control Panel
  2. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon
  3. Select the NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers from the list of programs.
  4. Click Change/Remove or Add/Remove button.
  5. Confirm with Windows that you wish to continue with the uninstall

Note: A prompt appears asking whether you want to delete all of the saved nView profiles.
If you click Yes, all of the nView software and all of your saved profiles will be deleted.
If you click No, the nView software is removed, but the profile files are saved in the Windows\nView directory on your hard disk.  If you take advantage of the nView profiles, you may wish to keep your custom nView profiles.

Once the driver files have uninstalled, Windows will request that you restart your computer to complete the uninstallation.

Now, Install the drivers from the following link: http://bit.ly/13buori

Follow the below steps to launch nVidia Control Panel:

• Right-click on the desktop and select nVidia Control Panel.
  • Click Start . Type nVidia Control Panel in the Instant Search box and press Enter.

Set a default graphics card for an application:

• Launch nVidia Control Panel.
  • Expand 3D Settings and select Manage 3D settings.
  • On the right-side window, click Program Settings tab.
  • Under Select a program to customize: option, select the desired application.
  • Under Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:, choose the desired graphics option.
  • Choose a specific graphics card while launching an application:
  • Right-click on the desired application icon and select Run with graphics processor.
  • From the drop-down menu, select the desired graphics card option.
  • Click Change default graphics processor... to change the default graphics processor previously selected for a particular application.

Change the screen resolution:

• Click Start .
  • Click Control Panel.
  • Under Appearance and Personalization, click Adjust screen resolution.
  • Click the drop-down list next to Resolution. Move the slider to the resolution you desire and then click Apply.

Awaiting your response!

131 Posts

May 27th, 2013 06:00

This is a copy paste from another thread I responded to, but I think it's relevant here. Using the onboard HDMI does not mean losing performance.

It will allow you full use of the Optimus switching between the Intel and nVidia GPUs. Therefore for normal daily use like web-browsing you can use the Intel for graphics which is quieter (and cooler), and the X51 will change to the nVidia when more horsepower is required e.g. gaming, and the noise isn't so much of a problem. This is how I have run my X51 for over a year and what it was designed to do.

34 Posts

May 27th, 2013 09:00

Taomyn writes ... "Yes, I have all audio going through the on-board HDMI as well, full 7.1 surround."

I've got audio-via-HDMI working thru the nVidea because it appeared to be the only HDMI audio optio according to Windows.  Did you have to find and install a driver for the onboard HDMI, which is presumably managed by the Intel chipset(?)

34 Posts

Forgive this n00b question, but how does Optimus work with 2 physical HDMI ports?  Does it sense the nVidea HDMI is connected, but sends Intel graphics out the nVidea connector?

34 Posts

For clarification ... are you saying the performance difference between the HDMI ports is solely color saturation?  Also, is you audio going through HDMI as well?

34 Posts

Regarding Dell-Rajesh's driver installation ... I notice this driver is for 32bit Win7 & Win8(?)  Is this a mistake, or is it also for 64bit OSs?  Also, will these graphics drivers from GEFORCE also install the HD audio drivers for HDMI?

TIA  :)

131 Posts

Taomyn writes ... "Yes, I have all audio going through the on-board HDMI as well, full 7.1 surround."

I've got audio-via-HDMI working thru the nVidea because it appeared to be the only HDMI audio optio according to Windows.  Did you have to find and install a driver for the onboard HDMI, which is presumably managed by the Intel chipset(?)

I have the latest Intel HD 2000 drivers from Intel, and the latest beta from nVidia - I think both include something. Just make sure the onboard Realtek analogue driver isn't taking precedence (I think I disabled mine in the Sound Manager).

131 Posts

Regarding Dell-Rajesh's driver installation ... I notice this driver is for 32bit Win7 & Win8(?)  Is this a mistake, or is it also for 64bit OSs?  Also, will these graphics drivers from GEFORCE also install the HD audio drivers for HDMI?

TIA  :)

No you need 64bit drivers for a 64bit version of the OS

I never use Dell drivers now, currently on the latest beta 320.18 which works fine - only one thing that doesn't and it's very minor: the right-click menu on an application doesn't show me the "Run this on specific GPU" item, which is not a great loss (it's because nVidia classes Optimus as for laptops only, so the desktop driver omits just this part but everything else works just fine).

131 Posts

Forgive this n00b question, but how does Optimus work with 2 physical HDMI ports?  Does it sense the nVidea HDMI is connected, but sends Intel graphics out the nVidea connector?

Nope, only works if you use the onboard HDMI - think of your X51 as a very powerful laptop inside a small PC case with a desktop graphics, Optimus and better expansion.

131 Posts

No, there should be no huge difference in colour so it looks like either a configuration issue with the nVidia driver or a hardware issue with that HDMI port or maybe even the cable.

Yes, I have all audio going through the on-board HDMI as well, full 7.1 surround.

34 Posts

May 27th, 2013 10:00

Nope, only works if you use the onboard HDMI ...

I see ... is there also no need to be concerned with which audio device I may have configured my media player to use?  (... right now I am using nVidea HD audio, but I figure if I install the Intel drivers, an Intel HD audio device will also appear as an audio option)

Thanks for all your help ... I have a similar thread here, which as of yet has gone unanswered ...

131 Posts

May 27th, 2013 12:00

Nope, only works if you use the onboard HDMI ...

I see ... is there also no need to be concerned with which audio device I may have configured my media player to use?  (... right now I am using nVidea HD audio, but I figure if I install the Intel drivers, an Intel HD audio device will also appear as an audio option)

Thanks for all your help ... I have a similar thread here, which as of yet has gone unanswered ...

This is what I see in my WIn8 Sound Manager:

1440.Capture1.PNG

The TX-SR875 is my A/V receiver that my HDMI connects to (for audio then on to my TV for video). Notice I disabled the Realtek as I don't use it and makes it easier to swap between the receiver and my headphones if I connect them.

In Device Manager I have this, but have always had one permanently disabled, perhaps it's the nVidia one:

3821.Capture2.PNG

And in the nVidia Control Panel there is no sign of audio:

2086.Capture3.PNG

34 Posts

May 27th, 2013 14:00

After installing the newest NVidia and Intel drivers, my sound devices haven't changed ...

0068.audio-devices.jpg

The Sony TV is actually connected via my AVR as well.  I thought I saw where the Intel driver included HD audio drivers, but they don't show in the list of audio devices.

Also, Optimus is apparently not installed on my X51 Win8 computer.  Does it need to be enabled or activated?

May 27th, 2013 22:00

it's always better to use a dedicated graphics card for gaming. as for your question i have no idea.

131 Posts

May 28th, 2013 02:00

After installing the newest NVidia and Intel drivers, my sound devices haven't changed ...

The Sony TV is actually connected via my AVR as well.  I thought I saw where the Intel driver included HD audio drivers, but they don't show in the list of audio devices.

Also, Optimus is apparently not installed on my X51 Win8 computer.  Does it need to be enabled or activated?

In your BIOS what is set as the default graphics? If it's set to Discrete then I'm pretty sure this will disable Optimus

No Events found!