Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2012 17:00

Alienware x51 Graphics Card

I saw some other threads about this with barely any answers so I wanted to post my own and not hijack someone else's.

I received my Alienware x51 on Saturday, updated everything and as soon as I started playing a game, it would slow down, stutter, make weird noises and then freeze/shut off.  I've run the diagnostic tools and it says everything has passed.

Video card driver is: Geforce 660 gtx 301.42 Nvidia.

Bios is:  Alienware A06

(I saw another post where someone asked for those specs so I thought maybe I'd just post mine.)

I was wondering, could a bad batch of video cards been sent out?  From looking at the posts, it seems like we all got our computers around the same time and we all have (basically) the same problem.

133 Posts

September 9th, 2012 20:00

Follow some basic troubleshooting steps first:

-Uninstall nvidia drivers

-Download and run Ccleaner to clean up the registry

-Download the newest nvidia drivers- on the site choose your card as '660 ti'

-Reboot - install drivers

-Game and see what happens

Also try and turn off intel gfx via bios, if all else fails call dell. A technician should come to swap out the gfx card it may be faulty.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2012 21:00

Thank you, I will try it :)

32 Posts

September 10th, 2012 00:00

+1 same thing to me, can i ask what games you tried?

131 Posts

September 10th, 2012 02:00

Try the 306.42 drivers: www.geforce.com/.../47859 - make sure to choose the clean install option in Custom.

September 10th, 2012 07:00

I was told by dell it was a driver issue and that they are waiting for updated drivers for the bios and gpu just shows these things arent tested before shipping, mines going back

32 Posts

September 10th, 2012 08:00

Its not a driver issue, (atleast with me and there are numerous complaints the same this past week or so)

One technician i spoke to used dell connect to access my PC and checked something (i forget what exactly he was fast) for an error and said ' yes its definatly your graphics card' i am now waiting on the engineer to get the card in stock and they are coming to replace mine.

3 Posts

September 10th, 2012 09:00

I did reinstall the 306.42 drivers (I did it twice before) and upped the fan usage (instead of auto I manually put it at 65) and I was actually able to play my games for about an hour or so before it would start stuttering again.

I was playing Star Wars The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2.

111 Posts

September 10th, 2012 09:00

Maybe only related to high heat?  Do you have any T° sensor you can look at to see what is the temperature when it start stuttering?

245 Posts

September 12th, 2012 09:00

using a free app like hwmonitor you can track your temps while you play the game and see what the MAX temp is for the video card when stuttering occurs.

158 Posts

September 12th, 2012 14:00

Good Idea you can monitor the temps specially while gaming. Check out this article, it has tools to monitor the temps of both CPU & GPU. 

No Events found!