Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2012 03:00

Alienware x51 does not power on

Hi. I have the x51 for about 2 months.

Suddenly it cannot start despite working fine 2 hours ago.

The power button is lit but the side panels do not. The fans can be heard. But there is no starting beep.

Despite unplugging the power and holding the power button to drain, it does not start.

245 Posts

October 5th, 2012 16:00

Insko,

Recommend you provide your service tag info to Chris here on the forums so he can help track down a resolution for you.

1 Message

November 3rd, 2012 05:00

Chris, I've had this problem 3 times in a row now and i think i need a fix.

when i start my computer then the monitor simultaneously it powers on but before i click it on its still got the power light on the computer, only a faint one.

then the computer gets full light and does the noise on a regular start up, the monitor says Entering power save mode, goes off but then after that it would usually say 4:HDMI instead it does nothing usually i leave it for a few hours and it works but its done this 3 times and giving me a headache, i was in the middle of downloading guild wars 2. Sorry i wasnt very clear but its confusing me why its doing it yet everything lights up fans on perfectly. 

the ways i have tried to fix

*UNPLUG POWER FOR FEW SECONDS, TAKE IT OUT FOR OVERNIGHT.

*Unplug HDMI from computer, then from computer and monitor.

*took every wire in the computer out and back in, i was going to take the GPU and the other things out but i dont want to harm it.

*my specs are i5, 3.30Ghz i think, 8GB ram, 1TB hardrive, geforce 545

if you can fix this i will be very grateful

By the way lately I've been having a new kitchen fitted and they had to take the power out which it happened straight after i wanted to go back on.

that was the second time it happened but the third was me downloading guild wars 2 it was on 18% and i left it to download as i watched TV (very slow downloads) will it go in sleep mode while i left it? so it effected my shutdown? thankyou for reading replys will help alot

April 22nd, 2013 01:00

I have had the same problem, this is the sixth day I have had the computer and the issue happened on the fifth (not counting the one I had strait out of the box). I have tried everything that everyone above has suggested (yes even talking to it nicely and stroking it) and I'm probably just going to send it back, which would be a shame because it is the first gaming pc I have ever owned and it makes me just want to stick to xbox.

any ideas to fix it are good ones and thanks for reading.

835 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 10:00

Is your monitor a Dell monitor too?

What connection are you using?

Do you recall running any updates before this started happening?

Do you hear any beeps?

Have you tried a different monitor?

April 22nd, 2013 16:00

I'm using my tv with Hdmi, its not beeping and I'm going to try a different monitor now

835 Posts

April 23rd, 2013 08:00

What's the resolution of your TV?

You should try the Display Port.

April 29th, 2013 02:00

We had a dell technician come around and he replaced the graphics card, which didn't fix the problem he had a look and says its a post issue, he is coming back later this week with a new mother board.

7 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 20:00

I have a similar problem with my Alienware Area-51.

It used to be if I did a Shutdown, it would not power on afterward using the power button.

I had to unplug AC from the wall for 3-5mins and then reconnect power and then it would turn on.

NOW it will not turn on now matter what I do.

I called tech support and He suggested it was the motherboard, however my warranty is expired, so it costs $800 to replace it, which I do not have being 23 yrs old with no credit cards..

I am at a loss as to what to do, can I buy a new MOBO from newegg to replace it? would I need to re-format my HDD's if so?

Im am so frustrated right now i dont know what to do.

6 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 23:00

This work around is rediculous, but it beats endlessly dealing with clueless tech support. I will never buy another dell or Alienware again. Since I purchased this I was in the market for a gaming laptop. I bought from origin. I am happy I did.

7 Posts

Thanks for the reply but it still did not turn back on

6 Posts

Here is what you do. I figured this out awhile ago.

1. Hold your finger down on the power button. Keep it pressed during this next step.

2. Remove the power cable, then plug it back in.

The system should turn on. NOW you can remove your finger from the power button.

Once on, never turn it off.

1 Message

August 19th, 2014 18:00

I have the same problem with the 330W power supply for my X51 R2 I just pulled out of the box.  The tech support is hideous - ever try explaining anything to India support that doesn't jive with their call script?  Wow - lame.  I've been working for HP for 6 years on service desk remote support and DELL is the worst I've ever come across.  I've been calling and calling for 5 days now and spoke to numerous people (non-English speakers) to get this POS returned - Dell doesn't want a return apparently. 

I will NEVER purchase a Dell product ever again - "we are never getting back together.... ever"

No Events found!