Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2011 13:00

Area 51 fan speed and Linux

I have a new Area 51 desktop configured for dual boot with Windows 7 (64 bit) and Ubuntu 10.10 (32 bit).  Under Windows, the fan speeds are adjusted according to the temperature sensor readings.  Under Linux, the fans run full speed making for a noisy system.  Is there a way to adjust the fan speeds under Linux?  Thanks!

2.4K Posts

February 18th, 2011 13:00

I have a new Area 51 desktop configured for dual boot with Windows 7 (64 bit) and Ubuntu 10.10 (32 bit).  Under Windows, the fan speeds are adjusted according to the temperature sensor readings.  Under Linux, the fans run full speed making for a noisy system.  Is there a way to adjust the fan speeds under Linux?  Thanks!

Since it's controlled by the MIO board programs such as speedfan will not work. The only way for you to control the fans is to install command center. If ACC won't install under linux then there is nothing you can do.

I have yet to find a program that will allow me to control the fans other then ACC.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 18th, 2011 14:00

Under Linux, the fans run full speed making for a noisy system.  Is there a way to adjust the fan speeds under Linux?  Thanks!

Is your goal to actually control the fans in Linux -or- to just make them run at an acceptable level while in Linux?

The reason I ask is because my recent interest is how the MIO-Board runs independently (at the micro-controller level) without assistance from CommandCenter in Windows-7. Also, how the MIO-Board behaves in Windows-8 Beta (not sure we are going to get a compatible Command-Center).

10 Posts

How do the fans run if you turn on the machine, and don't start Windows? Do they run quietly, or at full speed? If they are running at full speed outside of Windows then I'll bet you are having an issue similar to what I was having with my Aurora DT. My problem was that the fans ran at full crank until the Command Center S/W in Windows told them to do otherwise. I ended up following advice I got on here.

1) Download the latest version of Command Center for Windows.

2) Remove the current installed CC in your Windows 7 O/S.

3) Run CCleaner in your Windows 7 O/S.

4) Install the downloaded version of the S/W in your Windows 7 O/S.

This should allow the MIO board to control the fans correctly outside of Windows. Once you have that part working, I would assume that it would also function correctly within Linux - with the MIO board controlling the fan speeds for you (absent the CC software).

-Jim

4 Posts

I'm just interested in having the fans run at an acceptable (quieter) level.

4 Posts

February 18th, 2011 16:00

Ok, good.

So, as Jim asked above ... Do the fans quiet down during the BIOS screen?

They should. Command Center loading in Windows shouldn't be required for that to happen. The MIO-Board seems to run fine independently for us (once it's programmed with CC once last time).

We have been talking about it in this thread:

Re: Alienware Aurora will not play games

Yes, the fans run at a lower speed when the computer is first started and then later in the boot process come up to full speed.  I'll take a look at the thread and will give Jim's suggestion a try.  Thanks for your help and thanks to Jim as well.

--Mark

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Ok, good.

So, as Jim asked above ... Do the fans quiet down during the BIOS screen?

They should. Command Center loading in Windows shouldn't be required for that to happen. The MIO-Board seems to run fine independently for us (once it's programmed with CC once last time).

We have been talking about it in this thread:

Re: Alienware Aurora will not play games

4 Posts

February 18th, 2011 18:00

Uninstalling and reinstalling Command Center (latest version from Dell's website) solved my problem. The fans are now controlled as expected regardless of the operating system I boot. Thanks to everyone for the help.  --Mark

No Events found!