Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2011 06:00

Area-51 won't post after failed bios update

I'm so sad not angry but sad, I'm an experienced user however the bad day arrived.  I have tried to upgrade from A08 to A10 and my computer just freezed. Now starts up but won't post anything on screen. Can somebody help me ? Any advise will be appreciated. I leave in a place without Dell offices. 

Thank you,
Andrei

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 10th, 2011 07:00

What if the Dell Bios upgrade attempt fails and leaves the motherboard bricked (not working) ?

(1) Remove the CMOS coin battery for 30 seconds. Reinstall the CMOS battery.
(2) Reset the CMOS settings using the motherboard jumper.
NOTE - If neither of those allow the PC to POST successfully, the motherboard must be replaced.

1. If you are inside the warranty period and were asked by Dell Technical Support to load a Bios update, and the update fails rendering the motherboard corrupt, Dell will replace the motherboard via an onsite technician.
2. If you are inside the warranty period and loaded the Bios update WITHOUT any direction from Dell Technical Support, and the update fails rendering the motherboard corrupt, Dell will do a one time only motherboard replacement via an onsite technician. We will ask you to seek our help in doing any future Bios updates.
3. If you are outside the warranty period and were asked by Dell Technical Support to load a Bios update, and the update fails rendering the motherboard corrupt, Dell will do a one time only motherboard replacement via parts only service. You will need to replace it yourself or have a local technician do the swap. We will ask you to seek our help in doing any future Bios updates.
4. If you are outside the warranty period and loaded the Bios update without any direction from Dell Technical Support, and the update fails rendering the motherboard corrupt, you must purchase a replacement motherboard and replace it yourself or have a local technician do the swap.

313 Posts

June 10th, 2011 14:00

If Dell does not have a mobo available, then what happens? Also is this valid in Europe?

5 Posts

June 29th, 2013 16:00

Does anyone know if they still do the "one time only" MB swap for out of warranty machines? I called with the same issue, however, I'm still waiting for a return call (probably because it is a Saturday). Already tried the CMOS reset, but still no go.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 29th, 2013 17:00

Does anyone know if they still do the "one time only" MB swap for out of warranty machines? I called with the same issue, however, I'm still waiting for a return call (probably because it is a Saturday). Already tried the CMOS reset, but still no go.

Hopefully Dell will answer.

But while you wait, keep trying with DOS bootable flash drive:

... it has been known to work.

5 Posts

Tesla, thanks for the links. I had a look and I'm not sure if it will work (I did try, although I did not expect it would work). It doesn't even get to POST so I doubt that it will even get to the boot order. I will try to reset the CMOS again tomorrow (once I have enough energy to pull it from under my desk again) and see if anything changes.

Joel

5 Posts

I'll give it a go. Thanks!

5 Posts

June 29th, 2013 18:00

Well. Alienware support called back and was completely useless. I explained what happened and what I already tried. They said that they don't do the mobo replacement for me/anymore. I told her that I wasn't planning to pay for it since publically available software from Dell broke my (expensive) computer. Since she was a 3rd party I had the feeling that she didn't really care and that I should call customer support on Monday...fantastic

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 06:00

hbk123, dutchjoel,

We in the USA cannot speak to other regions policies. In the Americas, this is the policy...

* If you are inside the warranty period and were asked by Dell Technical Support to load a System Bios update, and the update fails rendering the motherboard CMOS corrupt, Dell will replace the motherboard via onsite service.
* If you are inside the warranty period and loaded the System Bios update WITHOUT any direction from Dell Technical Support, and the update fails rendering the motherboard CMOS corrupt, Dell will do a one time only motherboard replacement via onsite service. We will ask you to seek our help in doing any future System Bios updates.

* If you are outside of the warranty period and were asked by Dell Technical Support to load a System Bios update, and the update fails rendering the motherboard CMOS corrupt, Dell will do a one time only motherboard replacement via Parts Only Service. You will have to replace it yourself or have a local technician do the motherboard swap.
* If you are outside the warranty period and loaded the System Bios update WITHOUT any direction from Dell Technical Support, and the update fails rendering the motherboard CMOS corrupt, you must purchase a replacement motherboard and replace it yourself or have a local technician do the swap.

5 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 07:00

Although my username might suggest otherwise, I live in Raleigh, NC :)

Follow-up question: "you must purchase a replacement motherboard and replace it yourself" How do I order a replacement motherboard?

Additionally: I would recommend a big warning sign (in red, bold and a bigger font) on the A10 download site saying that this may break your computer. Or remove the whole (public) download altogether.

Joel

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 2nd, 2013 09:00

Here is one.

No Events found!