Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2012 08:00

Aurora R1 Ethernet Cable Not Detected Problem

I have an Aurora R1 with the Broadcom 5784 NIC chip.  System info says the driver/chipset are working fine but the ethernet cable is not detected.  I have confirmed operation of the Router (ASUS RT-N66U) and cable with my laptop.  I have re-installed the driver from Dell and tried a newer driver direct from Broadcom.  The LAN is enabled.

System:

i7-980 (upgraded from i7-920); GTX-260; 500 GB main HD; 2 TB RAID; 300GB Raptor drive

Recently I upgraded to Win7 Pro 64-bit from Home Premium but noticed no issues.  We did have a recent severe thunderstorm (close lightening strikes) but the Aurora was off but the router was on and active.  I left town for a couple of weeks and I do not recall if I started the PC after the storm.

I have googled this issue but what I found is over one year old and with no resolution.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks, Chris

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 23rd, 2012 08:00

What color are the NIC LEDs when everything is turned on?

* Green = A connection exists to a 10-Mbps network
* Orange = A connection exists to a 100-Mbps network
* Yellow = A connection exists to a 1-GB (1000-Mbps) network
* Off (no light) = The computer is not detecting a physical connection to the network

8 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 09:00

OK. Thanks.  Check tonight.

8 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

On the router, the leds were dim or not lit but this is the same when the laptop is connected and working.  Are LEDs on the PC?  If so, where?  

Due to the LED issue on the router, I do have an older router, Linksys EA3000, that I will try tonight.  No chance last night when I first started working on it.  

At work, we are speculating that the oscillator internal to the Broadcom chip may have fried, either from the thunderstorm or otherwise.  Is this chip replaceable or do I need to install a PCI-E card (if it comes down to it)?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Look just right of the RJ45 cable on the rear of the computer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 23rd, 2012 10:00

Not only are all system here on an APC, I also have a small UPS in the wiring closet for router and switches. Something to think about.

Yes, when NICs fail ... system observations are often strange. Remember, only change one thing at a time while trouble-shooting. A PCIe gigabit ethernet card is $20 ... easy fix.

8 Posts

July 28th, 2012 11:00

Looks like ports one and two on the Asus router are fried (dim sputtering light).  Installed a new NIC card but the onboard chip will probably work.  

Thank you for the replies.

Chris

1 Message

August 6th, 2014 21:00

I know this is very old but I have the same problem with the same circumstances, lightning strike, computer off and on a surge protector-router on and connected.  Pretty much identical.  The LED is off even when connected to a known good source.  Ideas?

8 Posts

August 7th, 2014 08:00

I think your onboard ethernet is fried.  Install a separate ethernet card.  Slots are hard to come by but the card I got is very small and I was able to squeeze it in.

On my previous issue my ASUS router failed ethernet ports one a day.  Very wierd.  Finally dumped the ASUS and got a new router.  NOTE: I have fried two ASUS and have moved on to Netgear (R7000) but that was before the latest Linksys which looks nice.

Potentially this might be your issue.  If you have a spare router try that but if you have a R1 Aurora, I think some of the chips/systems are weak.

chris

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2014 12:00

I know this is very old but I have the same problem with the same circumstances, lightning strike, computer off and on a surge protector-router on and connected.  Pretty much identical.  The LED is off even when connected to a known good source.  Ideas?

It's likely blown. You can try switching it on-off in BIOS and see if that brings it back-to-life. Also, some good tips in this thread.

You should also investigate how voltage surge got past voltage-protection. All computers and networking gear should be on good UPS (like APC or CyberPower) ... not power-strip surge protector (they are basically nothing inside).

No Events found!