Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2012 12:00

Aurora R3 Post-CPU upgrade heat issues.

I ordered my Alienware Aurora-R3 with an Intel i5-2500k overclocked @ 3.3 GHz. A friend of mine replaced the old i5 with a Intel Sandybridge Unlocked  i7-2600k @ 3.4 GHz. Since this new i7 has been put in I am experiencing a very high heat readings that I never got with my i5, and my System Fan is going crazy during gaming to try and cool it down. It never did this before.

We used Artic Silver thermal paste when we put the new CPU in, and we cleaned the old paste off the pump.

Due to the Aurora-R3 A06 BIOS having 2 separate overclocking levels. I activated each one with Turbo Mode enabled and used Core Temp 1.0 RC3 to read what my heat levels are whilst playing Crysis 2. Game was played for about 5 minutes each time. Both screenshots taken after game closed. System Fan idle @ ~1000rpm.

Overclocking Level 1 (CPU @ 3.9 GHz):

1121.CoreTemp-Scr.png

System Fan hit ~2500rpm

Overclocking Level 2 (CPU @ 4.1 GHZ):

5850.CoreTemp-Scr2.png

System Fan hit ~4000rpm

I have played Crysis 2 with my old i5 CPU and the System Fan never reached such high rpm and all seemed to work smoothly. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue (i'm sure people have i7s at higher than 4.1 GHz)? Or is there something I haven't done which is causing this?

Thanks in advance,
Dann 

133 Posts

April 30th, 2012 22:00

Are you using the stock cooler? yes allot of people run 4-4.2Ghz with an AFTERMARKET cooler on an i7. With the stock cooler though i dont think it's safe to go higher than 3.8Ghz.

6 Posts

April 30th, 2012 23:00

I haven't changed anything inside except the CPU and the paste that went on it. What cooler would you recommend?

133 Posts

May 1st, 2012 00:00

Not sure mate, but yeh it's always a bad idea doing serious overclocking with a stock cooler. With stock you could probably get away with 3.6-3.8Ghz. Anything higher use a fan based cooler up to maybe 4.2Ghz anything higher than that probably needs to be water cooled.

6 Posts

May 1st, 2012 09:00

I thought all Alienware Desktops came water cooled as standard anyway? There is a radiator facing the CPU. Not to mention a massive CPU pump attached to it. I don't really know how the insides of PCs work, which is why I bought an Alienware.

No Events found!