Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2013 20:00

Aurora-R4, 8.1 update, Fan Issues

My PCI and Hard drive fans just started running wide open all the time shortly after Windows 8.1 update. They respond to manual control but when on auto they run at 100%. I uninstalled the Command Center Controls, removed the registry keys, rebooted and installed the latest Command Center package from the web and the problem persisted. Thinking it was a Windows 8.1 error I reset to the factory Windows 7 build that originally came on the computer and it seemed to work correctly for a day or so and is now running the fans wide open again. The ePSA diagnostics check out and all the fans past diagnostic testing. All temperature readings say 77 degrees F and it states the cooling pump is running. I'm seeing alot of info about faulty  master I/O boards possibly being the culprit. Anyone have any experience with this issue before I jump through tech support. I work overnights and can't troubleshoot on the phone with a rep until next week.

Aurora R4

I7 3930k

16gb Ram

GTX 660

Intel SSD boot drive

Running updated A09 Bios from the support site and now have Windows 8.1 64Bit back on the system

8 Posts

November 9th, 2013 08:00

I have the same problem and I hope that dell update Alienware control Center for windows 8.1

45 Posts

November 9th, 2013 11:00

On my R4 I did not get Secure Boot to work to Windows 8.1's satisfaction (removing the watermark about Secure Boot isn't configured correctly) until I installed A09 BIOS.  After that I had the fan speed 100% issue, which I fixed by removing and reinstalling the Windows 8 version of Command Center, followed by a restart.  I had the fans manually set to zero speed below 35 degrees on a curve before I removed and reinstalled Command Center, but the reinstallation reset it to Auto and even resolved the fan speed before Windows begins to load.

4 Posts

First, excuse my poor English.

I bought my Aurora R4 last month. Today, after I boot it, the fan sounds like jet engine. Usually it will stop before I enter windows, but today the fan keep make loud noise even when I not gaming.

I checked command center and it looks like this:

ccfan.PNG

everything is fine but PCI fan and Hard drive fan keep run at 100%

I can change it to manual and change the sitting. The noise will stop, but I want to know where is the problem that auto doesn't work.

I also checked with HWMonitor, here is the result:

7380.hwfan.PNG

the temperature looks good, just fan runs very fast.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

45 Posts

Dell has said that Windows 8.1 is supported on the Alienware Aurora R4 and that any issues with Command Center will be investigated.  It was in another thread.  There are some Alienware systems they say are not supported for Windows 8.1.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&docid=575111 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Has anyone tested the AWCC (Alienware Command Center) 3.0.26.0 A01 on the Aurora-R4? I know it states X51-R2 but it would not hurt to try it. You can always reinstall the AACC 2.8.11.0.

If 3.0.26.0 does install, does it fix the AUTO fan issue?

I'm having the exact same issue on my Aurora R4.

System:

Intel Core i7-3820

Radeon HD 7950

Windows 8.1

I have an Intel SSD installed in addition to the 1 TB hard disk that came with it.

Right now, I just manually turned off the fans, but I would like to know if there's a proper fix for this.

I tried uninstalling the Command Center and reinstalling it, but that only fixed the problem temporarily.

And btw, I'm on BIOS A07. Any good reason to switch to A09? I hear it's causing problems to some.

31 Posts

November 9th, 2013 16:00

Hi Don,

I think you are the only person with an Aurora R4 who has fixed this issue. I have spoken to about 15 people ALL of them have this problem. If you have it working good on you. But the reality is that dell need to fix this issue.

31 Posts

November 10th, 2013 03:00

Chris M,

I tried testing this. This unfortunately does not fix the problem. Please ask your colleagues to fix this issue. It has been 3 weeks now since 8.1 has been released. Still no luck!

Help.

12 Posts

November 11th, 2013 05:00

Same issue here, killing my ears ...

12 Posts

November 11th, 2013 06:00

There is NO EXCUSE for the delay of updated drivers. Users ,who are heavily into computer news and hardware , knew about windows 8.1 for 6 or more months.  When the last preview version of 8.1 was release , You, DELL, had enough time to work on the drivers that would work with 8.1. I surely hope ,we will not have to wait 6 months to a years for new drivers. I see you have built and release Alienware Aurora R6! Please give me some insight on ET for this issue to be resolve. Please check with a second or third, level IT on this answer before you reply back to me. The clock is ticking! BTW, what will happen when Window Blue is released?

Dale J. Robinson

31 Posts

November 11th, 2013 06:00

Hi Chris,

Can you please confirm that you are working on a driver for AWCC which will fix the fan issue?

Kind regards

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 11th, 2013 07:00

wizarddjr64,

There is no such thing as an Alienware Aurora-R6. We are still selling the Aurora-R4. The R4 has CPUs with 6 cores. That is what the sales site meant.

Microsoft told us that all Windows 8 WHQL drivers would work with the 8.1 update. So we never intended to write new drivers for every component. We are only writing drivers for the components which have reported issues with 8.1.

This fan issue is under investigation. When I have information to post, I will.

31 Posts

November 11th, 2013 07:00

Chris,

Thank you for confirming that:

"This fan issue is under investigation. When I have information to post, I will."

Lots of upset customers out there and we are counting on you guys to fix this.

Thanks a lot for responding. It means a lot.

Good luck fixing it.

12 Posts

November 11th, 2013 17:00

I was on the phone with the alienware support guys in Bratislava and same thing happened there is not ETA as to when the new command center will be released.

So rather than sitting next to my pc I simply went through re-imaging my machine, but even after that the fans were running at 100 %

So I had to un-install the the command center, but there is a special way to do it, not only the remove program will work as I found out.

I cannot provide the full steps and nor would I guarantee the success (even though it worked for me with the help of a tech)

Basically we removed the program the normal way went through the registerey and deleted the alienware command center key, we also went were the fx settings are stored and deleted the whole thing.

After a restart fan were still at 100 % so I killed the pc and unplugged it and after a reboot everything was fine.

I am pretty sure the above steps are documented somewhere but could not find them.

31 Posts

November 12th, 2013 01:00

Hi Lankou,

Thanks for this. Deleting AWCC and removing the registry and draining the MIO board works... but for a few days. This is the first thing I did 3 weeks or so ago with the help of Alienware Tech, however the problem returned. I would be curious to know if your system is working fine a few days from now.

Most users report a return of the problem after a few days of good functioning.

Please let me know in a few days if your fans are still acting normally. 

No Events found!