Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2013 10:00

Aurora R4 Alienware AlienFX

I am running a brand new Aurora R4 on Win 7 Ultra.  The AlienFX work most of the time as far as changing color profiles.  However they suddenly stopped working, I restarted, reinstalled command center and checked the connections inside the case.  After starting the machine back up they were working great again for a short while.  

I discovered that I have to shut the computer down all the way, wait about 30 seconds, then power back on for the AlienFX to allow changing of the LED colors.  There are no errors/alerts in the event logs that seem to be related to AlienFX.   I have also run Alienware Autopsy and everything is showing as passed.   

I've noticed that this happens just about every time a different user logs into the computer or after letting the computer sit idle for an hour or so.  Is this a common issue with the AlienFX and is there a standard solution other than shutting down? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 24th, 2013 19:00

1. I've noticed that this happens just about every time a different user logs into the computer or after letting the computer sit idle for an hour or so.

2. Is this a common issue with the AlienFX 

2. No

1. It might have something to do with having multiple users. I don't really know why it would but it might be related to "Fast User Switching" ... if you have it enabled.

http://www.maxi-pedia.com/Disable+fast+user+switching+Windows+7

You might might want to log-off everyone and pick a User (with Admin rights). Only use that one for a while. On that User, uninstall and reinstall AW-CC. Keep running just that one user and see if that helps.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 24th, 2013 08:00

Lewey52,

What CC version was installed by us? What version did you reinstall?

5 Posts

January 24th, 2013 18:00

CC is version 2.8.9.0 installed by Dell.  I believe it's the same version from the site as well.  I've reset to factory default using Alienware Respawn.  It was still happening after then.  It was working fine at lunch today then I get home at the end of the day and now I have to shut down in order to get the AlienFX to change via quick change or by changing profiles.

5 Posts

January 24th, 2013 20:00

I've disabled it via group policy.  I'll see how that goes for a few days.  Thanks!

14 Posts

January 26th, 2013 17:00

I've had the same problem with my R4 Win 7 Ultimate since I got it in June 2012. Keyboard and mouse work fine but the chassis lighting has issues. I usually check AlienFX and the ambient sensor 3 is double the temp. and the CPU Pump has failed (which has me very concerned). When I shutdown the alien head and the lights on the front stay lit and when I wait and power it back up, all the lights come on then go off and when it boots then the lights come back on. This is very annoying since it was one of the main reason I purchased this unit and is the 3rd Alienware I've purchased. I do get errors from time to time. I've uninstalled AlienFX, NET framework and reinstalled NET framework then AlienFX and still have issues. Attaching an image of the errors.

Another unusual thing it did, was I shut it down to watch a movie on TV and during the movie, it booted up all by itself. WTH? I think it could be the power button is bad as there has been several times I've had to press it more than once to get it to start.

5226.AlienFX Error.jpg

5 Posts

January 28th, 2013 11:00

It seems that the problem does involve fast user switching.  WIth it disabled I had no troubles in the past 3 days.  I re-enabled it just to test today...then what do you know.  It happened.  So it looks like fast user switching will be staying off.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 28th, 2013 12:00

It seems that the problem does involve fast user switching.  WIth it disabled I had no troubles in the past 3 days.  I re-enabled it just to test today...then what do you know.  It happened.  So it looks like fast user switching will be staying off.

Thanks for the confirmation and reporting back.

No Events found!