Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2012 06:00

Aurora R4 and Dual Asus GTX 670: heating problem

Good day,

This week, I added a second GTX 670 to my system. 

Everything work fine in most of the game.  In heavy load, GPU1 temp may rise up to 75-80C, and GPU2 up to 89-91C.  It's high, but it still under the recommanded max temp of 97C.  And I never experience any drop in performance.

(at idle, both card stay under 40C)

This being said, in some game, like Batman: Arkham City, dont know why, but the GPU2 temp reached 96C.  This is way too high.

The fact that the 2 cards are very close together and even touch themselves, is a problem.  Also, the bottom card is so close to the bottom of the case (or the PSU i believe).

So in this area, a lot of heat.

Do you guys have any ideas on how I could work this out to control the heat?  Physically, I cant move the cards. 

I already changed the fan profile with the Asus Tweak utility.  This helped a lot.  More noise, but it doesnt matter.

I'm sure that removing the side panel and heat protector (the door that close over the gpus) should help, but I dont want that :(

Should I consider installing a water cooling? (I'm not familiar with that, and I believe it can be quite expensive).

Any tought on that?

I will post some picture of the setup tonight (its actually 8h50am here, I'm at work)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 14th, 2012 15:00

This is a common problem on this small mATX case. This is why I suggest people go for a single-card solution. Are those after-market cards designed to draw in air on their front edge, and vent out their back edge?

Be sure the PCIe case fan is bringing in enough cool air in the front (I use Curve).

Yes, try removing the hinged cover.

Last resort ... add another exhaust fan to pull hot air away from cards. If you can get that hot air into the inside top, it should mix or rise out.

2.4K Posts

December 17th, 2012 17:00

And for the PCI cover, should I really remove it?  It keep the hot air from the GPU around the card, with a venting hole in the back of the case (but no fan to push the hot air out).

If I remove the cover, the hot air will go everywhere else in the case.  Which I think is not a good idea?

With that type of card that blows the air right back into the case you would want to remove the shroud. It is keeping the hot air around the cards so it gets sucked right back in. It is trying to cool the cards with that hot air. If you remove the shroud and add a fan to remove the heat from the case your temps will go down.

Removing the shroud and adding a fan to get good airflow through the case will make a huge improvement in all your temps. The case and shroud was designed for a GPU that pushed the air out of the case, not dump it into the case. GPU, CPU, Memory, PSU and everything else will drop in temps once you add an exhaust fan and remove the shroud.

You can add another fan to your cooler to do a push/pull config to blow the air out the back and you can also add a fan on the top rear to blow the air out. That is how I would do it.

111 Posts

December 18th, 2012 06:00

Excellent, thanks for the tip.  I will look into it during holidays, I will find a fan to exaust the heat.  I will give some feedback :)

111 Posts

7853.IMG_1016.JPG

1325.IMG_1015.JPG

111 Posts

Ok, I just changed the settings for the computer fans.

I use a curve instead of leaving it fix at 50% or on AW auto mode.

4722.thermique.jpg

So far so good!  I just did a test in Batman.  As I said, yesterday, the temp reached 96C.  Now, the max temp was 76.!  More tests to do during the week end, but it seem this will solve my problem :)

2.4K Posts

December 14th, 2012 18:00

Those cards dump the heat right into the case. I would remove the pci cover and add a exhaust fan setup like Tesla suggested.

111 Posts

December 17th, 2012 06:00

Thanks for your advices :)

I noted during the weekend that indeed, the problem is that the heat stay in the case.  The PCI fan bring enough fresh air in, but nothing to get the hot air out.  

So I can say that right now, after changing the fan profile, the problem is 90% solved.  I just need to think about an exhaust or something. :)

111 Posts

December 17th, 2012 06:00

And for the PCI cover, should I really remove it?  It keep the hot air from the GPU around the card, with a venting hole in the back of the case (but no fan to push the hot air out).

If I remove the cover, the hot air will go everywhere else in the case.  Which I think is not a good idea?

111 Posts

December 18th, 2012 06:00

BTW, here'S a pic of the card.  There's an exaust in the back.  Lot of heat come from that.

And the silver tube you can see, those become very hot under load and generate lot of heat around the cards.

June 20th, 2014 14:00

I have two R9 290X cards in Crossfire. I will definitely be looking into these options. 

No Events found!