Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2016 20:00

Aurora R4 bluescreens

I bought an Alienware Aurora R4 two years ago and have recently started encountering problems.  As part of general maintenance I've updated a Windows and video drivers as needed.  Recently it has begun slowing down quite a bit and getting random crashes.

Most of the time they are along the lines of "Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal nvlddmkm.sys", "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED NTFS.SYS", "Driver Overran Stack Buffer", "Page Fault in non-paged area".  Those are the ones I've written down thus far.

It has also slowed down a bit, during the boot sequence especially.  The first time I start it up it won't completely boot, and when I try a second time it can take upwards of 3 minutes (whereas it was literally seconds when I bought it).

I've updated all the drivers, ran DISM.exe, System File Checker, multiple full anti-virus and malware scans, and even fired up System Restore on multiple occasions.

Alienware Aurora R4, Nvidia Geforce GTX 770, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Intel Core i7.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 20:00

I know you hear "Update your video drivers" until you are blue in the face.

But I've found that with (especially) older cards ... the stable release driver released toward the end of that card's "retail sale run" ... during that 12-18 month time ... is usually the best one.

Exception is OS upgrade or change. Sometimes you have to jump forward for OS compatibility. But again, find a mature one and stick with it if it works.

Might have to "clean install" driver if going backwards. The drivers Windows offers (well, Win-10 at least) are usually pretty stable also. Although, they might not offer the "Tweak Driver Control Panel" that many gamers want.

Good Luck. Unstable machines are hard to fix. Remember that you can always drop in a spare drive and clean install Windows and drivers to be sure it's not an OS problem. See link in my sig. for more tips.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 11:00

Some of those errors are related to video card. Maybe clean-install the older stable driver.

Clean all fans and re-seat everything.

Check Temps under stress with OCCT and SMART of HDD.

Check Event Viewer or run BlueScreenViewer.

Update BIOS but try not the brick motherboard in process.

December 23rd, 2016 19:00

Reseated a lot of the components.  I'll roll back the driver.  I will admit I was skeptical for Nvidia's reasons for releasing a new driver monthly.

No Events found!