Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2012 13:00

Back screen of death.

Have a Alienware M17X R3 that recently had a 8 beep code failure. Was shipped to the factory where the mobo, video card and processor i believe were replaced. Got the laptop back and now i get the black screen of death where the screen will go black and everything non responsive. Also if there is sound during the black screen it will stay stuck stuttering that sound constantly until the hard reset.

(NOTE: When booting into safemode the computer will not black screen at all.)

ANYONE have a idea what this may be? all drivers are updated and up to par.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 6th, 2012 21:00

tal.jennings,

How long did you have it back before this issue started? You should re-contact the Dell technician who setup the earlier order. They should have provided you with an email. They need to get it back to the repair center.

October 25th, 2012 14:00

The person i was in contact with pretty much left me in the water. Because my warranty just expired right before my laptop made it back here. I have boiled down the problem to a nvlddmkm.sys + dxgkrnl.sys BSOD. Tried everything from driver updating to rolling back, as well as a fresh wipe and clean install. I believe it may be the video card itself.

October 26th, 2012 09:00

I will review your case personally,  please send me an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com with your service tag, phone number and a brief description of the issue and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Sorry about the inconvenience.

October 29th, 2012 00:00

Did they resolve your problem?

October 29th, 2012 00:00

Hey Tal.Jennings even I have the exact same problem as you described basically whenever I operate anything in fullscreen mode a video on the internet or a game, the entire screen blacks out, everything goes non responsive, and the last sound file playing would stutter constantly until the hard reset.

No Events found!