JasonH715
1 Copper

Re: Better Alienware Aurora graphics card.

thank you for the great feed back.  im bouncing between the 5870, the gtx 295...and now the 5970

0 Kudos
cowboycat
3 Argentium

Just a heads up here. The new Nvidea cards are due out here in a few weeks. The 480 is supose to out perform the raideon 58xx and 59xx and the nvidea 285 and 295. This should drop the prices down for some of the high end cards.

Alienware Aurora,black,17-975 OC 4.0,6gb corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600mhz memory,saphire HD 5850 1gb DDR3 GPU,640gb HD,custom liquid cooling,875 watt psu,DVD/CD RW,BLUray,19&1 reader,window 7 64,AO9 bios

0 Kudos
JasonH715
1 Copper

ah, well thank you.  ill wait abit, and when they come out, hopefully alienware puts them right in

0 Kudos
Greenwit
2 Iron

Just a heads up here. The new Nvidea cards are due out here in a few weeks. The 480 is supose to out perform the raideon 58xx and 59xx and the nvidea 285 and 295. This should drop the prices down for some of the high end cards.

Yes, there is a YouTube video showing the card in action v. the 5870....but it was a canned demo of their choosing (Nvidia).  It did better the 5870 by big margins at times in the demo.  But still no official release date.

0 Kudos
cowboycat
3 Argentium

I read over at the overclockers forum where the next few weeks. If I remember right theres a couple of beta testers over there. We will have to see.

Alienware Aurora,black,17-975 OC 4.0,6gb corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600mhz memory,saphire HD 5850 1gb DDR3 GPU,640gb HD,custom liquid cooling,875 watt psu,DVD/CD RW,BLUray,19&1 reader,window 7 64,AO9 bios

0 Kudos
im_lost
2 Iron

Tech Support tells me that Dual 5870's w/ CrossfireX enabled can support a total of four (4) monitors. But I just don't see how that is possible.
* If CrossfireX enabled, you only get one active port. To get access to all four ports, disable CrossfireX

It is my understanding that since the Catalyst 10.2 driver release last month then eyfinity now works correctly with ATI 5XXX series cards in Crossfire. Thats 3 monitors per card for a total of 6 monitors at once.

The new Nvidia cards are due out on the 26 Mar. Havent seen any real benchmarks yet apart from a single Nvidia released demo using the Unigine 'Heaven' demo / benchmark. It showed the new GTX480 to be around twice as fast as the 5870 during the highly tesselated segments (a new DX11 only feature) but the same or even worse performance during the non tesselated bit. Unfortunately Nvidia had Anti Aliasing etc turned off. Due to the way the new card processes tesselation there are rumours that out of a benchmark scenario, with anti aliasing turned on, the gap between it (if there is a gap) and the 5870 would likely be far less. However even using the Nvidia benchmark it appears that the ATI 5970 may still the faster option.

Either way you are likely better of waiting for the new Nvidia card release before buying. It will either be uber, so can decide to buy that if you need such a card, or even if it isnt that great it will hopefully lower the prices of the existing ATI 5XXX cards so you can get a better bargain with that instead.

Of course a 5970 is effectively CrossfireX on a single card just as a 295 is effectively SLI in a single card.

0 Kudos
Greenwit
2 Iron

When Dell/Alienware offers the gtx 480 cards is a whole different matter.  Very likely there will be high demand right after release in the gaming community making supply scarce and they are having issues right now meeting demand.

0 Kudos
JasonH715
1 Copper

yeah, i was begining to think that to.  are the dual cards (5970, gtx 295) that hard to manage?  iv never used Cross fire or SLI.  is it really that much better for all games?

0 Kudos
Greenwit
2 Iron

Just saw this in techpowerup forums.  Just a piece excerpted here at the top...

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=117000

Spoiler Alert: Early 470 & 480 benches

Collection of Fermi Benchmarks:

PCB lengths:
HD5870 280mm 28.0cm, 11.02 inches (not including backplate & enclosure)
GTX480 267mm 26.7cm, 10.51 inches
GTX470 243mm 24.3cm, 9.56 inches

General performance:
gtx285 75%
hd5850 80%
gtx470 90-95%
hd5870 100%
gtx480 110-115%
hd5970 140%
-------------------------------
So at 10 to 15 percent faster than the 5870 you're talking about 60 fps vs 55/53 fps.  Nothing to sneeze at but then again nothing to get overly exited about.
0 Kudos
im_lost
2 Iron

Dual cards are no problem to manage at all.

Depending on the actual game you will get a typical boost of around 50-70% from dual compared to a single card and sometime a little more.

Of course there really is nothing out there at the moment that needs more than a single 5870 except on the largest monitors. However going for a dual card solution you have a little more wriggle room for the future.

I also wouldnt get your hopes up of getting an AW with a new Nvidia 470 or 480 for a while yet. Though they are nominally released on the 26 Mar it is likely to be at Least May before there are any significant numbers hitting the market.

0 Kudos