Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2010 14:00

Brand new Alienware M17x - My Issues - And how the hell do I contact support???

So my brand new Alienware M17x R2 arrived on Friday.

I've had a couple issues so far:

1. Alienware Support

Where the hell do I get support? support.alienware.com asks for some Account Number, which, i do not have. Googling this brings up a forum post stating that my Account Number would be in the manual booklet that came with the computer on a little card but I can find no such thing in my manual.

support.dell.com ... well, this asks for an asset tag. And sure enough, there IS an asset tag on the bottom of my computer. But Dell's website rejects it. Is my computer too new?? I can't post the asset tag in here right now -- i'm at work and my computer is at home -- but I can post it to this thread later tonight.

2. Virtualization

This is kind of a deal breaker for me.

I fire up Virtual PC and it tells me I do not have hardware assisted virtualizion enabled. I assume VMware will say the same thing. It says to go to turn it on in BIOS. Except there is no such option in BIOS.

Researching this seems to bring up that a BIOS update for the Original M17x (Update A01 I think) Added in Virtualization Support.

There is no such update for the M17x R2 that provides this.

I need to be able to run Windows 7 XP mode among other things. This really is a deal breaker for me, and if there is no forthcoming update for my laptop that can do this I am going to have to resort to a refund (or at least exchange for a simliar specced laptop that CAN do it..)

3. Hyper Threading

I'd like to be able to turn it off. No, it doesn't make your computer faster. You only have 4 cores and if you think seeing 8 in task manager makes your computer faster you are fooling yourself. 4 cores are 4 cores and can't magically run faster by creating logical or virtual processors. Running CPU intensive tasks on a HT enabled processor ALWAYS runs slower. There's plenty of information, research, and documentation online that supports this. Please go educate yourself and don't go spamming me for being an idiot for wanting to turn HT off.

In summary:

- Turning HT off isn't a deal breaker; not having virtualization is.

- And if anyone can figure out how I can actually contact Dell/Alienware support via email I will.

Thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it. :)  I'm just frustrated I spent $4100NZD on a laptop and have essential features missing :(

468 Posts

March 28th, 2010 15:00

Hi!.. So to begin, the support.alienware.com thing is for pre-dell alienware computers, not for post dell computers.  You were in the right place at support.dell.com.  Generally your service tag is supposed to take 48 hours before it updates in thier systems, so I would give it till wensdayish.  If you really need help, give dell a call and have them force the service tag in the system.

2.  Hardware assisted virtualization requires a processor that has VT on it and enabled, not all processors do and without knowing what processor you have, I can't say one thing or the other, also the bios has to allow for it to be on and sometimes the manufactures forget that step.  However, I believe there is an update for XP Mode on windows 7 that allows for software virtualization since a lot of people did not have Hardware VT, AND VMWare and other companies have been making Virtual software enabled systems for a while, so I am not thinking you need HardwareVT for them if you wanted to buy it.

3.  Hyperthreading is again something that is processor specific.  If you have a core i5 or i7 processor, as far as I know you cannot shut it down as it is more intigrated into the processor the the P4 HTs were with the logical processors and all that, for example the i7 series is a 4 core with up to 8 total cores (even though you know that :-) )... if the option is not in the bios, then (for now) you cannot disable it. 

Hope this helps somewhat and just remember, your service tag can take a while to be ready in the system if its a brand new machine, if you really need to talk to someone give dell a ring.

5.2K Posts

March 28th, 2010 17:00

See this SITE for the procedure. You must upgrade to the A01 BIOS and then turn virtualization ON in the BIOS. I have seen some reports that the A01 BIOS can cause video problems. Do some web searching to check this out.

398 Posts

March 28th, 2010 18:00

Microsoft recently (within the last two weeks) changed the requirements for XP Mode. There is an update that drops the need for hardware-based virtualization:

"Windows XP Mode no longer requires hardware virtualization technology. This change simplifies the experience by making virtualization more accessible to many more PCs for small and midsize businesses wanting to migrate to Windows 7 Professional or higher editions, while still running Windows XP-based productivity applications."

You can find the update here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

And as others have said, it can take up to a week or so for your system tag to make it into Dell's database.

8 Posts

March 28th, 2010 19:00

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Okay, so my Service Tag might still not be in Dell's database, check. I'll try again tonight.

My laptop is the R2 version of the M17x... so its a Core i7-720QM.

To the person who suggested the BIOS update; that was for the original R1 of the M17x, it (eventually) got the BIOS option to turn on Hardware Assisted Virtualization. The R2 does not have this. Hopefully that's a 'yet' and is coming.

And thank you for pointing out there are updates that let you use Virtual PC without it. I'll try that out tonight as well.

8 Posts

March 29th, 2010 00:00

Because I can't use ANY of dell's support features on their website... I can't email, i can't chat, I can't even call (it won't give me the number) without providing my asset tag, and my asset tag is always rejected. *annoyed*

Can anyone from dell please help?

8 Posts

March 29th, 2010 00:00

Still getting a big fat red 'Please ensure the service tag entered is valid.'

Any idea when this will likely resolve?

BTW does anyone official from dell read these threads?

8 Posts

April 9th, 2010 02:00

Because I can't use ANY of dell's support features on their website... I can't email, i can't chat, I can't even call (it won't give me the number) without providing my asset tag, and my asset tag is always rejected. *annoyed*

Can anyone from dell please help?

My service tag will still not work. What is the number to call dell on in New Zealand? Nothing on their website will work without entering a service tag, which is always rejected...

263 Posts

April 9th, 2010 14:00

Diskiller,

Sorry for your pain. Don't know how up to date it is but my manual says: Website:  Support.ap.dell.com,  Email: support.ap.dell,com/contactus : General support #: 0800 441 567. 

Hope this helps.

December 20th, 2013 14:00

Did you find the resolution to this?  I just purchased my laptop and am having the same issue so if you resolved your, please let me know how.

thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 20th, 2013 15:00

If the system was purchased at retail, you need to activate the warranty:

http://www.dell.com/support/retail/us/en/19/register

If it was purchased through a third party (if this is an M17x, it's not a current model), contact the seller.

No Events found!