Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2012 01:00

Can't get the 660, so they offer the 545!

So, I ordered the x51 a couple days ago when it was in the 12 Days of Deals for $100 off. I opted to pay $150 to upgrade to the 660 GTX video card. Great! I was excited. Anyway, this morning I got an email saying that the 660 was not available, but I could get the 545 GT instead, which would give me back $132.

So, instead of the getting at least the standard 640, I pay $18 and have the privilege of getting last revisions weakest card.

HA! Thanks, but no thanks. I can understand being out of a product, but if I can't get what I paid for, give me back all of my upgrade cost.

6 Posts

December 8th, 2012 04:00

yeah they killed my excitement and turned it into anger as well when I was going to place the 12 Days of Deal i5 model with the 660 GTX video card and then they took the option away before I placed my order. Chris said that they changed it so only i7 chips would be allowed to run the 660 GTX card but didn't explain why the i5 can't handle it.

it's so frustrating that alienware is supposed to be gamer focused but they make decisions like this that don't even make sense to the gamers and just upset us. i was looking forward to a new x51 i5 660GTX to play with this Christmas but I guess that's too much to ask.

2 Posts

December 9th, 2012 01:00

Yeah, I was stoked. Then just upset. So, the word is they won't sell it with the i5? That's lame. I'd still like one, but I think I'll take my $1000 somewhere else. Your loss Dell!

December 9th, 2012 08:00

This is turning into a bad Christmas for Dell.

I was still using my pre-Dell Alienware laptop when it met with a slight... accident.

Whilst the local boffins were weighing up the damage I decided maybe it was time to invest in a new one.  So there I was on the Dell website customising my choice of base unit and when I reached the CPU, surprise, surprise!  No AMD chips.

Now there are as many opinions about chips as there are computer users, but I happen to think that when you've got two top of the range graphics cards and a top of the range sound card and you're buying a gaming computer, what you want out of a CPU is moooore powerrrrrr, and if you're talking simple bang-for-your-buck that's AMD.

Apparently Dell have some cosy little agreement with Intel which is more important than its customers, so I've just jotted down the specs and asked the boffins if they could fit them into my old machine's casing.

That's 3 lost sales in this post alone.

No Events found!