Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2011 12:00

Can the speed of 120MM fan in Aurora be set manually?

I can't find any option in Alienware command center that'd allow me to manually set the speed of the 120mm fan attached to the raditor of the water block, nor is there such an option in the bios. Any heads-up would be appreciated.

757 Posts

May 10th, 2011 15:00

I can't find any option in Alienware command center that'd allow me to manually set the speed of the 120mm fan attached to the raditor of the water block, nor is there such an option in the bios. Any heads-up would be appreciated.

We use to be able to control the system fan, but AW took that functionality away from us in a BIOS or CC update.

We have been told that this is an improvement over the owner being able to manually adjust the system fan.

May 10th, 2011 15:00

Nope. Its an automatically controlled fan

Try rendering a video with Vegas 9.0

You hear that thing whir up really quick.

It keeps the systems CPU no higher than 70C or around those temps.

Unsafe zone for the Intel CPU is alot higher than an AMD at 100C.

I have never seen a temp above 74C and im overclocked to 3.2ghz on a i7 920 bloomfield @ 2.66ghz factory.

65 Posts

May 10th, 2011 16:00

My rig is as follows:

Alienware Aurora
i7 980x extreme @4.2GHZ
12GB Kingston HyperX 2000MHZ Ram @175MHZ
4x3TB Hitatch HD + 1x2TB Seagate HD
Asus GTX 590
Haupauge 2250 TV tuner
2x23" Samsung PX2370 LED monitor

The auto-controlled 120mm fan had been more than adequate before I upgraded to GTX 590, which runs very fast and unfortunately also very hot, even at idle. The 120mm fan wasn't pumping out hot air fast enough because it's controlled by the temp of my CPU, which runs very cool, not the ambient temp inside the case. I've found a stop-gap solution by turning off the speedstep feature on the CPU which forces it to always run @ 4.2GHZ, which in turns kicks the 120mm fan speed up a few notches. It would've been most ideal if I could manually adjust the fan speed based on the overall temp inside the case, not just the temp of the cpu alone.

176 Posts

May 11th, 2011 06:00

The system fan can be controled manualy in command center. I have not done it personally but one day while working with dell tech support the tech who had accessed my computer showed me how this is done and made several changes so that I could hear the fans ramp up. I would give tech support a call and they can guide you through the procedure.

757 Posts

May 11th, 2011 07:00

Unless you have and original set-up and have never upgraded your BIOS or CC since 2009, then you no longer have control of the system fan. The system fan is the radiator fan. That ability was removed some time ago.

The only two fans you can still control are the PCI and Hard Drive fan.

No Events found!