Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 12th, 2011 07:00

Delays in building/shipping M17x R3

I' order an M17x R3 on 4/5 with an EDD of 4/29.  I've been looking at some other forums and have seen that there have been delays in production/shipping the M17x.  Some individuals other their weeks before mine and have a EDD in the the first week on May.  Has anyone hear anything about production issues?

Thanks,

sms1295

5 Posts

April 12th, 2011 10:00

SMS,

I have been in contact with my sales rep every two or three days, and I am told that at this point there is no real estimated delivery. There was a QA problem with the chassis, and the production site had to reject the entire shipment of chassis on the 03/31. My EDD is tomorrow, but have not seen any movement. My sales rep received an update to my production expedition request saying that they still have yet to receive a shipment of chassis from the manufacture that has passed QA testing. There was a period of about 36 hours that the M17x was not even on the website to order, thought I suspect that part of that was due to a caching issue when the web developers were laying the framework for the 14 and the 18x. Just be patient. While it may take a long time to receive your machine it will be worth it. Dell is also VERY good about compensating you for waiting past your EDD.

Hope this helps,

~iNyfe

1 Rookie

• 

82 Posts

April 12th, 2011 10:00

~INyfe;

Thank you for responded.   You must have one of the better sales reps because on the other forums the customers have not been provided a good reason for the delays.  When I call Alienware/Dell today about my order, the automatic voice said the machine is in the 'In Production' stage with an ESD of 4/26.  I'm a patient person, so I'll just wait and see if the machine is shipped on 4/26. 

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

If you could post when you receive yours, I would appreciate it. 

Thank you again for taking the time to respond,

sms1295

5 Posts

April 12th, 2011 11:00

SMS, 

Keep in mind that it does not matter who ordered when. You really can't compare the EDD's unless you are looking at a very broad picture. If you order your system and a component is out of stock they may set back your EDD a decent bit of time. 

Just a thought

iNyfe

1 Rookie

• 

82 Posts

April 12th, 2011 13:00

iNyfe,

I understand.  I'm just curious.

sms1295

9 Posts

April 12th, 2011 15:00

If it is any consolation, I received my M17x R3 on time and I have a Problem with my left speaker. At the right freq' it has an annoying buzz that is getting worst and hard to overlook anymore. I am a big music fan and I have to use my laptop with headphones only. I called in this problem and they are (were) going to send me a replacement laptop, though I think i  might send it back before the 21 day window just to avoid some warranty issue.

9 Posts

April 12th, 2011 15:00

Your situation prompted me to call Alienware and see what the scoop was on the replacement. They say it will be here around the 5th of next month, which I find acceptable, but a check of the website order status as in production with no information on delivery date.

I think I should take a moment and say, while the speaker is a probem with me and my (Music Oriented) OCD, the M17x is a remarkable laptop, capable of running much of the most demanding software and games in very high resolution. I recommend showing patience (more than I exhibited at the time) and waiting out this delay. Alienware is out to fix this problem and get you the best system they can.  in the long run, you will be happy with what you get.

1 Rookie

• 

82 Posts

April 12th, 2011 19:00

HKING9733,

Thank you for sharing to this thread.  I plan to wait on the pc.  I have several Dell computers (8300 and XPS 720 desktops, and 8600 and XPS M1530 laptops) and have been happy with each.  Since my last purchase (XPS M1530), the order to delivery time has increased.  With the XPS M1530, est build was 10 days and then 3 -5 shipping and the actual build was 6 days.  Also, at that time Dell had charts show how the build could be delay and how long if component were not available.  It is just the basic build info now.  I'm just curious and plan on being patient.

Thanks again for sharing,

sms1295

5 Posts

April 13th, 2011 15:00

SMS,

My machine shipped today (my EDD). It looks like whatever problem they were having has been at least temporarily fixed. Hope this helps.

~iNyfe

2 Posts

April 14th, 2011 07:00

Hi Guys,

I ordered the new Alienware M17xR3 from Australia on the 23rd of March and it was meant to arrive on the 15th of April (tomorrow) but i worked out on Monday (11th of April) that because it was "STILL" in production and reading this forum, (which was great hearing from others about this BTW (Thanks everyone), there was NO way it was going to arrive to me in time.~:^(

I rung my Dell account manager (who is great), and she explained to me what the hold up was, you guys probably already know the story by now, but the way i see it...(for what its worth..(.we call it putting our two bobs worth in, here in OZ) All of us here, including myself paid big bucks for a high end professionally built beast of a machine, and you guys know how cool these are as you too have ordered them..~:^)... and judging by the alienware backpack and headphones (that have arrived (tortute~:^) the quality of this gear LOOKS and IS very  professionally built, (very very happy) so being that it was a quality control holdup, i am more than happy to also except the wait, knowing that when i DO get my laptop, it would of passed all of "Alienware's" very high standards and will now be the laptop that I am sure we are ALL expecting. This also makes me even more confident that it will have no problem living up to everything that we are all hearing about these beasty machines...

"The best laptop in the universe" hehe~:^).

I did ring my account manager and she did fast track my order...it is now the 14th of April and my little beast is on the plane coming to Oz, this might help anyone else here who is waiting like a little kid at Christmas time...just like I am..~:^) 

Take care guys... and I will look forward to posting a positive and excited 45 year old Graphic designer's story of unwrapping my cool new toy...and I look forward to hearing your guys stories too.

Kindest Regards & Blessings,

Rik Hilverts

2 Posts

April 18th, 2011 07:00

Hi guys ..not sure if anyone is still reading this ??...but just an update my new baby is with the local couriers (mon 18th April)...woo!!! hoo!!! maybe i might see it tomorrow?? Hats off to Dell,

Kindest Regards,

Rik

April 19th, 2011 09:00

Mine shipped out today (from Shanghai, China!).  I live in the UK - can't wait!

5 Posts

April 19th, 2011 12:00

i just got my m17x r3 with the ati radeon hd 6970m, the best one they had at the time. The drivers for this GPU are unstable. I get BSOD for random things. The only way i can operate the laptop without crashing is to switch to the low performance GPU (there are two GPUs installed in the system) When are updated drivers going to be released i wonder. Otherwise i might just return this thing...

No Events found!