Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2013 22:00

Desktop Fried - Question on Replacing Parts

Okay, so my Aurora R3 met its death at the hands of a glass of Hawaaian Punch.  The tower immediately shut off.  I got it all drained out, and my dad is currently working on getting the sugar cleaned out.  We are afraid that it is all fried.  That being said (and with no warranty left on it), would it be possible to replace the fried parts with non-Alienware equipment but with the same hard drive (assuming that the data is uncorrupted) and to still get the case fans, lighting, and coolant system to function properly with the Alienware programs on the hard drive (Alienware Control Center and other such programs)?  Or would I need to order Alienware-specific hardware to make the case work properly?  If so, where would I get it?  Thanks!

162 Posts

November 20th, 2013 06:00

Well that in that case that's a different story if you damaged anything on the motherboard and unfortunately you might have to purchase another one.

And from what I understand the command center does get its information from the chipset so unfortunately that lead back to the motherboard if it's damaged it will need to be replaced.

Like I said I had a similar situation  I was lucky that it didn't damage any of the parts on the motherboard.

But I did have to replace the graphics card in the network card.

Good luck

162 Posts

If you are talking about things like graphics cards network cards things of that nature you don't have to go through Alienware to get them, you can go to your nearest computer store and purchase them right off the shelf.

If you go to Dell's website you can download the completed driver set for your computer.

PS make absolutely sure though that you clean everything out be very tedious about it because if you powered up and miss anything

you'll be going through this all over again I only say this because I went through this already same thing happened to me only it was a cup of coffe

2 Posts

I'm mostly referring to the motherboard, as, if I'm not mistaken, the Alienware Command Center requires the Alienware chipset and motherboard/BIOS to run properly.  That's the part that I'm mostly questioning; if the hard drive with the Alienware Command Center program on it is intact but the motherboard is fried, will I need to replace the motherboard with the same model to make the case work properly?  Or can I just pick up any motherboard that works with the desired CPU and GPU?

No Events found!