Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2012 09:00

Faulty integrated microphone

Hi, first time posting in these forums. A bit unsure as to whether I should post here or in the hardware section.

I own an Alienware m14x, and all of a sudden my integrated microphone has stopped working. I've tried to re-install the Realtek driver, and "Microphone" shows up in my recording devices window. But I get no response when trying to use it on Skype and other services(test call, recording etc.), the webcam works fine by the way. 

Also, when i touch the back of my laptops screen, approximately where the webcam and mic are located, I get this connect/disconnect drive sound. Like when you connect or disconnect a mouse or an external HDD. That worries me as I fear something has.

I would greatly appreciate it if some one could help me resolve this problem. Should any further information be needed I would be happy to provide it, albeit I might need some directions as to how to retrieve this additional information.

Thanks in advance!

835 Posts

August 29th, 2012 11:00

Hi Philstr, what revision is your M14x? r1 or r2?

5 Posts

August 29th, 2012 17:00

Hi, R1, I think.

835 Posts

August 30th, 2012 09:00

Alright, send us an e-mail to awsocialmedia@dell.com with your service tag, phone number, address and best time to reach you. It's very important that on that e-mail you include: the link to this thread and a brief explanation of the issue that you are having and on the subject box put this: Please forward to NataliaatAW, and I'll help you out.

835 Posts

OK, let's start with a camera firmware update, I know the camera is working fine but since cam and mic are one piece, this updates the whole thing.

Click here to be directed to the Camera Firmware download.

keep me posted. :)

5 Posts

Right. I ran the firmware update, and it said "no device found" or something along those lines. After this I tested the webcam by Skyping with my self. This time it seemed to work, but whenever I touched the webcam the quality got kind of VHS-like. And then the webcam just started dropping out and coming back on again with irregular intervals. I'm no techie, but this kinda looks like a wiring problem?

No Events found!