Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2016 12:00

Full System Backup For Aurora R4 Ignores All Files After #1 Application

Hi Guys and Gals,

I had a failed video card. Before I took it to a guy to fix it, I backed up the entire drive. This fix-it guy erased the drive and tried to install the backup.  He told me it was "up and running" but NONE of my stuff was on it.   I looked at the backup and saw there are 406 .dsb files of 320MB each that didn't make it with the backup.  AlienRespawn is non-existant on the system now. I have ordered Dell DataSafe Backup 'Pro' but am waiting for license key.  System tells me "AlienRespawn cannot be installed because your hard drive does not have the Windows Recovery Environment."   Any suggestions on reinstalling all my stuff on this new setup?  It opens to the Alien head and I have Alien Command Center.  Aurora R4,  intel i7-3820 quad core.

Thanks, 

John

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 26th, 2016 09:00

Hi, 

So you created the backup with Alien Respawn or did you use the Windows Backup Utility? Which Windows operating system are you running with your Alienware?

6 Posts

January 27th, 2016 14:00

I had to use the Dell Recovery flash drive a technician left here a year ago when he came out to fix something else. It took 10 hours or more to back up the entire thing.  I'm using Windows 8.1 64 bit. The video card got so bad I had to use Safe Mode to see anything.  The guy I took it to was a friend of a friend and sounded like he knew what he was doing.  I have two drives in two slots.  He tried to mirror them and it didn't work so he "put it back" to where it was.  He told me that he loaded "all my stuff" back onto the drive, but when I checked, none of my stuff was there.  The only thing he has said to me since is "If it's not there it must not have backed up correctly".   Which I think is bogus because on the backup there is an "Application" file numbered #1 followed by 405 other files each with 320MB of data.  Apparently he only restored the #1 application file.  But I think that's because he knew nothing about ReSpawn.  I just don't know where to go from here.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 29th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

Click here to view a video that explains how to restore a backup using Alien Respawn. If it doesn't work, there may have been a problem when you created the backup. Unfortunately, if that is the case, there is nothing we can do to retrieve the information.

6 Posts

February 19th, 2016 14:00

Latest update:  I am now running windows 10 on my Aurora R4.  I tried to install Dell DataSafe/Local Backup which I purchased, and it still says I do not have Windows Environment to install it.  What do I have to do to install the Dell DataSafe/local backup? It seems that it's the only possibility I have in hopes of restoring my old data from a backup. But I can't get the product I purchased to load onto this machine!

Previous to my install attempt, a Dell info page came up asking if I wanted to setup Dell system restore and I said I did.  I immediately started to create a backup/recovery on a flash drive. As I worked on my laptop I kept an eye on the progress of this backup.  Suddenly the screen started dimming as if it was going to go to sleep so I hit the space bar.  The backup stopped and just the Dell info page was left on there.  Just like the first time, it was again asking if I wanted to create a backup/recovery.  ***? Did the one that was just being created finish?  Most likely not I'm thinking.  Why did it stop? This just seems lame to me. I closed the page to try and install Dell Data Safe, but when that didn't work, I tried to find that Dell Recovery and system info again with no luck.  Where did that Dell stuff go?  All I have is Dell System Detect.  Why is this so hard? What do I do next?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 19th, 2016 15:00

I don't think Dell DataSafeLocal is anywhere near Windows-10 compatible. See my post here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19676022/20884506

No Events found!