Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

July 29th, 2017 14:00

GPU PWR on motherboard

Trying to figure out this Aurora r6 motherboard.  Getiing a new psu and I am trying to figure out which plugs i need to use for the gpu  I know the ones that are in the gpu itself but i am trying to figure out which one I use for the plug i drew a line to it on the picture

1 Attachment

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

July 29th, 2017 17:00

For R5/6, due to its compact interior, I will focus on the new equally compact EVGA G3 Series (850w | 1000w) 150 x 85 x 150mm (WxHxL) 5.9 x 3.4 x 5.9in ... approx. 50mm / 2in shorter in length than a typical chassis (850 / 1000 G2 @200mm / 7.9in L)

When purchasing a PSU in the 600 - 1000 category, it is beneficial to choose one that has a pair of CPU 8pin ports

Let us say that CPU1 will power the motherboard top (white) CPU 4pin, using the supplied 4+4 CPU cable. Let us say that CPU2 will power the middle (black) GPU_PWR 8pin

It is impossible to power the black 8pin with anything other than a CPU / EPS cable connector, due to its unique plastic keys - in otherwords - a PCI-E Grfx cable connector is keyed different, it can not fit, is not intended to fit and is also wired differently and therefore is the wrong cable to use or try to use

above is your 8pin CPU / EPS male header and a corresponding (solid) 8pin female connector

*it is not a PCI-E Grfx connector header, neither physically nor electrically

Insert your CPU cable into the GPU_PWR header, either as a solid 8pin or as a 4+4, depending on what they gave you in your pouch

Post a photo of your new power plant @V

I doubt you need this info, but an owner whom for whatever reason chose a power supply with only one CPU 8pin port, were it me I would track down a specialty adapter, see below:

found as eBAY search term = Antec 8 pin to 8 PIN + 4 PIN 12V Extension Power Cable

such an extension / adapter cable in theory could power the CPU 4pin and GPU 8pin headers at the same time, using one cable / one PSU 8pin port ... if of course the shown adapter is of the correct lengths ... if not, other solutions would have to be looked into, ie other extensions and adaptors

Below @Hotarri installed an EVGA 650 GS, which has one CPU 8pin port on the front panel; he was lucky in that the pouch included a type of CPU 8pin cable that had a 4+4 at one end, and a solid 8pin 'jumper' attached; the CPU 4pin & GPU 8pin are thus both powered at the same time by one cable ... other power supply models may not come with such a cable, of course, which is why it is best to buy a power supply that has two CPU 8pin ports on the front panel

No Events found!