Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2017 09:00

GPU upgrades for Aurora R5

I bought recently an Aurora R5, but maybe I chose a too limited GPU: GTX 960 with 2GB DDR5.

I've been perusing Amazon for other cards to upgrade in a near future. maybe a GTX 1060 or 1070 without SLI, single card. But I see many with fancy shapes and plenty of fans. [*-)]

Should any card fit in the Aurora R5? The only info I've been able to find is on page 16 of the setup manual, where it says that the maximum length is 10.5". But it says nothing about width or height.

PSU should not be a problem: I got the 850W one.

Is there an "official" source of upgrade parts?

Sorry. I come from Mac, and everything in the PC world is new to me.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 16th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

, Length: 10.5"

You can use this card as a reference:

http://dell.to/2lTvsA5;

21 Posts

February 17th, 2017 05:00

Thanks for your help. The link provided doesn't work (error 404), but I've figured out that it was the link to the GTX 1070.

According to the dimensions, It seems that it's only possible to use the so called "turbo" cards, with only one fan that blows air through the inside of the card and that expels it to the outside through the vent holes at the connector side of the card. The cards with open ventilation –sold as gaming cards— are not only longer, what also wider.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 17th, 2017 11:00

This was the link:

http://dell.to/2lVMayG

The validated cards are the Nvidia / AMD reference cards (unmodified). For example that is the reference version for the GTX1070. We are not saying that non-reference cards will not work, but we can not confirm the functionality, since we can't validate all cards.

21 Posts

February 18th, 2017 04:00

but we can not confirm the functionality, since we can't validate all cards.

Of course. And a case with a small form factor has its limitations. Also i see that the reference cards are all of the "turbo" class.

Maybe people who have upgraded its original GPU could say in this thread or in another one which cards have they used and if they have had any problems.

No Events found!