Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

November 11th, 2013 01:00

GTX590 Overheating problems in my Aurora

Before I begin, I just want to stress that this is my 3rd Nvidia GTX590 that I've had replaced through Dell/Alienware for my Aurora.

I purchased my system in July 2011 and the 1st card died within 6 months... 

The 2nd GTX590 card started to shut down on me again after only 7 months, and that's when I started to monitor the temperatures of this card.  During normal gaming I would see Core#2 hit 98C to 100C the card had to be again replaced.  (Luckily, I renewed my warranty and I got another replacement from Dell)

Now on my 3rd GTX590 I am getting the same shut down problems...  I called Alienware Tech Support and am showing them that clearly they made a huge mistake in making this Dual GPU Card available for this Chassis, since the chassis does not have sufficient airflow for this type of card!!!    I showed them that core#2 always hits 98C-100C and is not acceptable thermals.   All they keep saying is they can only swap the GTX590 for the same card!!!  (This is only the same problem being given to me)

Now, why would Dell/Alienware sell a customer a computer that isn't going to run at acceptable temperatures?
Don't they test their systems before selling them?  I have been dealing with Managers/Supervisors, and I'm asking that they do something about this so I don't have to call every 6 months.    A single GPU solution would stop me from seeing 100C on my video card and having it from melting.      

15 Posts

November 11th, 2013 02:00

Yes, it's in the top slot.  I have not messed with removing the shroud because I don't want to void the extended warranty I have.  I have turned up the pci fan to max, it sounds like a jet and still see high temps.  I believe the gpu is trying to cool itself with the same hot air that the 590 dumps back into the case.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 11th, 2013 02:00

Is it in the top slot? Have you tried turning up the PCIe fan? Have you tried it with the shroud removed?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 11th, 2013 07:00

Toolguns,

We sold thousands of this same hardware configuration and we are not seeing thousands of complaints. So I have to disagree with your statement, "Clearly they made a huge mistake in making this Dual GPU Card available for this Chassis, since the chassis does not have sufficient airflow for this type of card".

I am not saying that you do not have some hardware failure. After two video cards, they should have replaced the motherboard rather than sending another video card. They also could have sent you a different video card to test in there. Also, make sure that the system Bios overclock settings are returned to our defaults and that you are only using our WHQL video card drivers.

15 Posts

November 11th, 2013 08:00

Yes, they could have sent another video card to test, but they are not.  I don't understand why they won't just accept that I'm right.  I call tech support, jump on team viewer with them, show them the gpu hitting 98c-100c and all I get is: "We can only send you a replacement of the same card."  Well after 3 cards, I don't think my request should be denied.  It's a simple airflow issue, the gtx590 dumps heat back into the case.  I have no problem knowing I purchased a PC with not the best airflow, but I do have a problem knowing Dell sold it configured with this card, and I've had to go through 3 of them already and I can see the 4th card coming soon since the temps havn't changed for me.  If Dell wanted to provide a solution, they would swap my card for a Nvidia Single Core Card with the equal or same performance as my current card.  A card that exhausts the heat from the rear of the case, rather than dump back into the case like the 590.

• 

2.7K Posts

November 11th, 2013 08:00

Hello Toolguns!

Could you please send me a PM with you service tag, so I can check if there is something else I can do for you?

15 Posts

November 11th, 2013 10:00

Hi Milena M,

I just sent you a PM message with my Service Tag.
Please let me know if you received it?
Thank you!

No Events found!