Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2012 17:00

Games crashing on Aurora R3

Hey guys, so for a long time now (the last year or so) I've been battling with my computer to run the games I'm trying to play. (Borderlands 2, Arma 2: Combined Operations, Dota 2, Batman: Arkham City, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, The Witcher 2) and a few other less known games. Everytime I play any of these games, only the applications of the games will crash to desktop. It can be on launch, it can be within 5 - 10 minutes of playing. I've tried everything from reinstalling Windows 7 cleanly, to replacing the motherboard, harddrive, video card, RAM, power supply (with a much higher wattage/better brand) tried it on multiple different monitors and tried with just plugging it into the wall instead of a surge protector. Ran all the tests like memtest, and made sure the computer wasn't overheating but everything is fine. All the latest drivers are installed 100%, and that's just the tip of the iceberg with what I've tried.

I've fought with Alienware tech support on fixing the computer, but they never came close. Tried the same things over and over (reinstalled Windows multiple times, updated drivers, same old same old) and then after a while just charged my computer as fixed and moved on. To date I'm fighting that charge and they also said they were going to not charge me for it, and reimburse me after they did, but again...never happened. Anyway, I then brought it to Best Buy to see if they could fix it, but alas they ended up not being able to fix it and I'm working on my refund of the tech support for that as well. Lesson learned about tech supports, I suppose. 

I'm about ready to just trash this computer and build an entirely new one, because not only do my games crash but other applications as well. Google Chrome is the most functional of my browsers and it still gives me a lot of trouble with crashing. Openoffice also crashes...So on and so forth. Most are a KERNELBASE.dll error, not sure if that's relevant. 

Short summary: Games and other applications are crashing, tried literally everything that I, and anyone else I've talked to can think of and still nothing.

What's strange is I can play some games, like Killing Floor or Just Cause 2 fine. No crashes, everything is good. Yet I can't for the life of me get any of my other games to work. Can someone help me? Also, sorry for the wall of text. It's been a rough time with this. Any help would be much, MUCH appreciated.

Alienware Aurora-R3
AMD Radeon 6950 2GB video card
intel i-5 2400 processor
Windows 7 64-bit
16 gigs of RAM
1TB HDD

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 11th, 2012 17:00

dukedeyoung,

You have four memory sticks in there. Start by testing the system with two memory sticks at a time. Once you run through all of the variations and you could not identify any bad memory, reinstall all of them.

Turn off all overclocking. Test the system.

Move the video card to the other PCIe x16 slot. Test the system.

If you still have not found the culprit, consider removing the Liquid Cooling CPU heatsink, clean the thermal paste off both the CPU and heatsink. Reapply arctic silver thermal paste. Test the system.

October 11th, 2012 19:00

Thank you Chris for the response! I appreciate it. To answer what you've said, I have actually tried literally all of that, as did Best Buy. However, I did turn off overclocking but I'm not sure if what I did actually had any effect. I switched it off using the slide for GPU speed on the ATI Catalyst panel. Is that right? But in regards to everything else, I've done it all.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 11th, 2012 21:00

Sorry. I meant in the R3 Bios. The base speed for your i-5 2400 processor is 3.1GHz. I need you to enter the Bios and tell me what your current overclock setting is on now.
* Reboot the PC and press F2 to enter the Bios
* Go to Advanced- Frequency/Voltage Control
* Open OverClock Configuration. What is listed?
* Open Overvoltage Configuration. What is listed?

October 12th, 2012 17:00

And for voltage,

DDR3 memory voltage: Auto

Dynamic CPU vcore offset: by CPU vid

Dmi and uncore voltage: default

Adjust DDR_vref_dq_a: default

Adjust DDR_vref_dq_b: default

Adjust DDR_vref_ca_a: default

Adjust DDR_vref_ca_b: default

October 12th, 2012 17:00

Ahh I see, okay. The settings are

Turbo mode: enabled

Factory long duration power limit: 95 watts

Long duration power limit: 0

Factory long duration maintained: 1000 ms

Long duration maintained 0

Recommended short duration power 1: 1.1 x long duration

Short duration power limit: 0

Base frequency: 100 MHz

1, 2, 3 and 4 core ratio limit: 31

Factory vid for max turbo ratio 0 (1/256 v)

Vid override for max turbo ratio 0

October 13th, 2012 07:00

Also, I'd like to say that Alienware Command Center and AlienFX are some applications that are crashing as well. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I think it's something hardware causing so many applications to do this.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 13th, 2012 19:00

* Reboot the PC and press F2 to enter the Bios
* Press F9 to load the Dell defaults
* Press Yes if asked to load the defaults
* Go to Advanced- Frequency/Voltage Control
* Highlight Load Level 1 OC Setting
* Press Enter
* Choose Yes
* Press F10 to Save and Exit the Bios