Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2017 22:00

Glitch with the alienware graphics amplifier?

I have 2 alienware 13s and 1 alienware 17r3.  I also have 2 different alienware graphics amplifiers.  One of them is running an NVidia 970 gtx , the other a 1080gtx.  All of my laptops are doing the same problem with either amplifier.

Anytime I launch a game in full screen mode, via the laptop screen or an external, game performance seems mediocore.  My fps  will random drop in places I don't "think" they should.   However, if I alt-tab out of the game, and then back in, it's as if everything is working full power.  I'm locked at a constant fps, in most games 60 (vsync on).  It has been doing this for so long and works so well I've gotten used to making it a habbit that anytime I launch a game, alt-tab is a must.  

Is this normal?  Or is has anyone else noticed this?  Again it is doing the same thing across 3 separate laptops, with 2 different amplifiers and video cards.  I mean just now I was running dying light, my fps was dipping from 60 to 35ish pretty hard, even in places that don't seem graphic intense.  And of course, like I knew it would, alt-tabbing out and back in caused the game to lock at 60 (like it should, via 1080gtx @1440p).

Being that I've seen this on multiple different hardware i'm convinced it's not something on my end.  In fact i'd be willing to bet this is happening on every laptop out there.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 16th, 2017 09:00

Hi ‌,

First, check that every computer has the latest BIOS version. Also make sure your setting up the amplifier in a correct way by checking this video: Alienware Graphics Amplifier: Setup - YouTube  

Remember that although the AGA is connected, the video driver that must be installed is the one from the laptop.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2017 10:00

Interesting discovery. At least you found a work-around.

Maybe try with best 100% working lapDell Validated")
- Known best video card
- Installed in best AGA and using good cable

Try to find a set that is working, and then only change one item at a time (to test the other components). Keep good notes.

Benchmark with OCCT or Heaven (remove games from equation).

With all this gear, sounds like you are determined to make something work. However, just one complete mid-range Windows Desktop has better performance than any of these pieced-together systems. Maybe it's time to try one?

No Events found!