Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2016 10:00

Graphics Amplifier Issue - Not Recognizing video card & Long boots

Good Day,

So I have this absolutely annoying issue with my amp. I'm at a point that I'll probably return the thing and wait until ASUS releases their unit and - as long as it only requires Thunderbolt 3 - buy their unit. Heck I might even just return my Alienware 17 R3 as well and just buy an ROG.

My issue is that I'm plugging in an MSi GTX 770 (which is compatible by the way) and every time I do so IF I manage to get the computer to even boot up I'll get a message to inform me that it can't recognize the device as its not an nVidia or AMD card; which of course is a lie. Again - that's IF I get it to boot up, most of the time it just refuses to boot. The laptop turns on, the amp turns on, and the screen stays black. I've even tried to use an HDMI cable in the laptop to see if it'd bring up a screen... NO.

Furthermore, I've gotten it to work twice without any issues. Here's the stupid thing, since I got it to work I was happy and I shut down the computer so I could relocate the amp to a better area instead of smack dab in the middle of the room. I moved the unit (carefully) and ta-da... doesn't work again. That was twice, once I managed to run it with the case open (wanted to make sure it was powered and such) and when I closed up the system after shutting it down, doesn't work.

Now, I've also gotten it to work another two or three times but it only booted up under the Intel Graphics but when I took a look at the Device Manager I do see the GTX 770 but Windows had stopped it since it wasn't working. After checking the drivers (up to date) and disabling and re-enabling the display adapter I managed to get it to work. I cannot replicate any of these situations.

As I continued to play with it - guess what? Not working. Won't even boot up the screen and OS but everything gets powered. Yes, FN+F1 was pressed - although every time I press it my Alienware is oh so kind enough to tell me that an amplifier was NEVER connected to this laptop - ever.

Yes, the card has been removed and put back in to ensure a proper connection, the PCIe cables flipped (what I mean is the yellow set of cables went first while the brown second, and then switched) - and no, it's not the card because it works fine in my desktop. I'm extremely infuriated with this thing. Perhaps there's a chance the card is too tall? After all I can't even fully close the case when it's in. (Probably that heat pipe). I also got it to work once, but the entire screen kept blinking and when I tried to type it just wouldn't let me kept open and closing for example.

Now technically I don't need this amp. I've got a 980M (which is the equivalent to the Desktop GTX 770) - the amp would just help with the heat but I also had planned on getting a ASUS GTX 970 (Strix) or 980 or 980ti (haven't decided) - or a Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 970 - 980 ti. But I don't want to shell out the money for a better card if it can't even run the MSi 770.

Power supply to weak? I don't think so. I honestly have no idea what to do right now and I'm hoping SOMEONE can shed some light on my situation! I'm honestly thinking it's a faulty Amp. I can also make note that the Alienware Cable sometimes gets stuck and I have to really wiggle it (even with the release clips pressed)

It's a real pain!

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 29th, 2016 11:00

Could be a faulty AGA. I see the GTX 770 on the approved list. Does the 17-R3 have the latest Nvidia WHQL mobile 980m driver installed? Latest Bios 1.2.14 installed? If you installed a desktop video card driver, it should be uninstalled. The latest Nvidia WHQL mobile 980m driver should run both the laptop and the AGA video card.

3 Posts

June 29th, 2016 15:00

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Yes, I've got the latest 980m nvidia driver (368.39) and I never installed the 770 Driver.

So, a good chance that it's faulty? Perhaps I should process a return/exchange then?

3 Posts

June 29th, 2016 16:00

Alright, I'll do that - however the AGA doesn't have a service tag number - I don't think unless you can point me in the direction of it? Is it the long number inside the case?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 29th, 2016 16:00

Correct. Call 1-800-254-3692. Explain the issue and troubleshooting performed. Or email them here. Include;
Subject line = Alienware model, service tag number, order number
Body =
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Reason:
Troubleshooting:

62 Posts

June 29th, 2016 18:00

The AGA can't support a card over 5" tall... If you are forcing the door there is a good chance it is making the connections a bit wonky.  But yeah I would work with dell on a replacement.  Mine works great so I hope you can get it working!

No Events found!