Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2014 14:00

HELP! My m17x won't boot!

Hello everyone,

For some weird reason my laptop doesn't want to boot up. It was working fine yesterday and this morning I tried to switch it on and nothing. It just switches on everything but the screen just has the blinking line in the left corner. So, it doesn't even boot up to the Alienware logo and I can not even press f2 or f12. If I start pressing the button, it will make this loud beeping sound and the flashing line is still there. I have tried inserting the Windows CD and nothing happens. It basically doesn't respond to anything :( Any ideas how I can fix this? Much appreciated! 

Thanks!

1.8K Posts

August 5th, 2014 10:00

Hi Boulettes,

The symptoms you describe indicate you have a NO POST problem.

Follow the troubleshooting steps in this article and let me know if the issue persists. 

8 Posts

August 5th, 2014 14:00

Hello Naomi,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it isn't beeping automatically, only when I press a bunch of buttons it beeps. Also it the indicator lights don't blink, it's the blinking underscore on the screen that is beeping. I will attach a video for you to see what happens when I switch it on:

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5TqFKbJjBA&list=UU5czDcQjvyLdjTZg6EI5xVw:550:0]

Thanks for your help,

Kun

1.8K Posts

August 6th, 2014 19:00

Did you try reseting the BIOS and draining power (troubleshooting steps 1 and 2)?

If you feel confortable opening the computer, you can also try to boot testing each memory module separately. 

8 Posts

August 7th, 2014 07:00

Where does it mention these troubleshoots? It doesn't even give any beeps unless I press a button on the laptop. 

I can't reset the BIOS - though I did try switching on the laptop whilst pressing the FN key, but nothing happens. 

With draining the power... do you want me to drain the battery without the plug? And then start the machine with it plugged in?

I have opened the laptop and tried to load the laptop with the HDD in different slots and also the RAM separately - still the same result.

8 Posts

August 7th, 2014 07:00

Sorry, I just tried doing the steps... and still no luck. :(

• 

2.7K Posts

August 7th, 2014 09:00

Have you tried to reset the Cmos or coin battery?

If you did and the issue persists please send me a PM with your service tag and brief description of the problem so we can help you further. 

8 Posts

August 7th, 2014 11:00

Unfortunately, it did not work and I have PM'ed you.

No Events found!