Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2013 01:00

[Help Needed] New Alienware X51 BSODs when using USB 3.0 Ports

Hi everyone,

Today I received my Alienware X51.  After setting up the system, I plugged in my USB 3.0 external hard drive to one of the two USB 3 ports on the back of the unit.  The system immediately blue-screened and shut down.  I let the system restart normally only to find it blue screened again and restarted again.  After the third BSOD, I removed all the peripheral devices from the PC and let it restart.  It did not crash this time.  Systematically plugging the devices back in demonstrated that when the USB 3 hard drive was plugged into the system, the PC crashed.  I am able to reproduce this consistently: hard drive goes in, system crashes.

I got off the phone with Dell tech support this evening, but all they could tell me to do is find another USB 3 device to test the ports with.  Since I have none available, I'm looking to the user community for some help.  For the record, I've managed to pull the dump files from the BSOD.  Here's the latest one in graphical format:

6428.usb3crashdump.png

Has anyone seen this before?  My current troubleshooting steps have consisted of uninstalling the Renesas Electronics USB 3 hub controller driver that shipped with the system and reinstalling the drivers using a package available on the Dell website (http://downloads.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/alienware-x51.html).  This did not work.  I also tried formatting the hard drive, but the BSODs persisted.  Needless to say, I am out of ideas.

The drive works fine in a USB 2 port.  Of course, I am disappointed that I am not able to use the higher speeds of the USB 3 port at this time.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any suggestions on next steps?  What information can I provide that would help?

Thanks!

1 Message

October 21st, 2013 12:00

I am surprised that this post has not been answered yet from a member of Dell since there is a fix for this, apparently, I had this problem when I got an external hdd a few days ago

Remove the current Renesas driver installed on your Alienware then click the link below

http://am.renesas.com/products/tools/introductory_evaluation_tools/starterkits_evaluation_boards/usb_3_demo_card/index.jsp

or just click here

install, this will fix the blue screen issue

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 24th, 2013 07:00

Hi Adam,

Are you able to boot to safe mode with the external drive plugged in?

6 Posts

February 24th, 2013 10:00

Hi,

Yes, the PC still blue-screens when the HDD is plugged in, even in safe mode.  I certainly could use more assistance... what other information would be helpful for you to know?

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 24th, 2013 16:00

AdamHarden,

So the USB 3.0 drive works on all six black USB 2.0 port at 2.0 speed? But fails on both of the blue USB 3.0 ports?

6 Posts

February 24th, 2013 16:00

That is correct.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 25th, 2013 14:00

Is there any other computer with USB 3.0 ports that you can check the drive on? Did you check the drive manufacturer for firmware updates?

6 Posts

February 25th, 2013 18:00

I have tested the drive on multiple other PCs and it works fine.  

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 26th, 2013 06:00

We doubt that the issue is with the motherboard. But go ahead and initiate an onsite service to get it replaced to test the replacement motherboard.

Contact the Alienware Team at this email address:
AWCC-Resolution_experts@Dell.com
They will need the following information -
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone:
Best Time To Reach You:
System Model: X51
Service Tag number:
Issue Description: X51 USB 3.0 ports fail to read a USB 3.0 drive. BSODs
Troubleshooting done:
Request: Motherboard exchange via onsite service

15 Posts

February 28th, 2013 18:00

Same issue, exactly. 1T usb drive and 2 laCie rugged keys. Blue screen on boot if they are plugged in, and blue screen once plugged into USB 3 ports.

3542.bsod.PNG

15 Posts

March 1st, 2013 17:00

@AdamHarden FIXED - Don't have them replace your motherboard. Genius solution, by the way..

Go to device manager and right click on the Renasas Electronics USB Host Controller

Check - "Delete the driver..."

1263.RE1.PNG

Then go to renasas site here;

Renasas site

Install this software:

4403.RE2.PNG

1 Message

March 3rd, 2013 13:00

Thank you Adam Harden! I tried calling Dell for help on this matter. They were completely uselss and failed me miserably. Will for sure impact my next purchase from this company. Anyway thanks again.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2013 17:00

I have the same issue.  Both USB 3 ports cause BSOD regardless of what USB item I plug into the port.  I bought this computer just a few days ago.  Aurora Alienware.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 20th, 2013 11:00

My apologies. I was just  informed that we had published this document.

1 Message

March 31st, 2013 15:00

I had the same problem as the others and this solution worked like a charm. Thanks alot. Saved me from a useless venture into Dell support.

June 10th, 2013 06:00

Thanks very much, ds5384. Your solution worked like a charm. I can't imagine a vendor shipping a driver that causes BSOD upon hardware insertion. That's some pretty lousy testing!!!

No Events found!