Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2013 09:00

How to change my RAID 0 to BSOD?

Peace!

Considering that most (if not all) Alienware computers seem to be produced with a RAID 0 array of discs, I'm surprised I couldn't find a similar post in this forum.
I would greatly appreciate if someone would provide step-by-step instructions on how to change the RAID configuration and then partition my dual hard-drive computer.

I have a Dell Alienware M17XR3 laptop computer featuring:
  Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system
  Intel 2.3GHz Core i7-2820QM Processor with 8M cache
  Dual 750Gb 7,200RPM stiped-array hard-disk drives
  16Gb DDR3 Random Access Memory
  2Gb GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6990M graphics card

When I ordered the computer over one year ago I asked for the hard-drives to be independent of each other (not stripped) but Dell told me that they were unable (or unwilling, I would say) to do that. As far as I know, it is RAID 0.

I have yet to turn the computer on and I wish to set it up WITHOUT striping (BSOD, I believe).

I intend to use the computer for high-level music production and prefer to have the programmes and Windows operating system on one HDD and the music files on the other. Therefore, after changing the RAID configuration i would like to partition each hard-drive into two or three sections if possible.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance,
Swami.

January 24th, 2013 10:00

Hello Gods Prophet,

Before you remove the RAID remember to backup you data.

- Turn on you system

- Press several times when you are prompted to enter the Intel RAID Option ROM utility.

- Use the up- and down-arrow keys to highlight Delete RAID Volume, then press .

- Highlight the RAID volume you want to delete, then press .

- Press to exit the Intel RAID Option ROM utility.

- Press to confirm the deletion of the RAID volume.

- Access BIOS

- Go to the Advance tab

- At the SATA operation hit

- Select AHCI

- Press the F10 key to safe and exit

- Process a clean installation of windows.

To partition the HDD you can use windows disk management tool.

January 24th, 2013 11:00

Dear Madam,

Peace!

Thanks for your prompt reply but please fully explain the following step:

- Press several times when you are prompted to enter the Intel RAID Option ROM utility.

When will I be prompted to enter the RAID utility?

Also:

- Access BIOS

How to access the Basic In/Out System?

Thanks again!

January 24th, 2013 14:00

If the system is not prompting any message to access the Intel RAID Option ROM utility try Ctrl + i several times before the Alien head logo appear

This is an example for the screen that needs to be display.

6305.Intel-545x374.png

To access the BIOS, press the F12 key several times at the Alie head logo.

January 26th, 2013 10:00

Dear Madam,

Peace!

Thanks again for your response but I noticed that there is the option to "Reset disks to non-RAID", so I can only wonder why you failed to suggest that option?

Also, this may sound trivial, but why is there a raised ".:." on the "S" key on my Alienware keyboard? I understand why the "J" and "F" keys have a "_" ridge on them (to allow one's fingers to rest on the correct keys for touch-typing", but I've never seen a pattern on the "S" key before on another keyboard.

January 28th, 2013 04:00

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the acronym "BSOD" in the title of my thread should have been "JBOD"...

So any reason why I shouldn't simply select "Reset disks to non-RAID"?

January 30th, 2013 00:00

Anyone??

I'm hoping to set my computer up for the first time and even though I got the PC in 2011 I would like to do so ASAP.

I noticed that there is the option to "Reset disks to non-RAID", so I can only wonder why you failed to suggest that option?

Also, this may sound trivial, but why is there a raised ".:." on the "S" key on my Alienware keyboard? I understand why the "J" and "F" keys have a "_" ridge on them (to allow one's fingers to rest on the correct keys for touch-typing", but I've never seen a pattern on the "S" key before on another keyboard.

No Events found!