Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2011 12:00

How to install a new PSU in a Alienware Aurora

Hi everyone

I currently own a R1 Aurora and I would like to upgrade the power supply from 525 watts to 875 watts so that I can install a GTX 580. I decided to order the 875 watt unit through dell and they told me that it may be tough to install. Ive replaced units like ram and graphics cards but never a PSU. Should I get a tech to come install it for me or could I do it myself? Are there any detailed instructions on how to do it? I'm also out of warranty.

Alienware Aurora

Intel i7 920 2.66 ghz

3 gb ram (will be upgrading to 12 gb 1666 mhz ddr3 ram)

2x gts 240 (sli)

500 gb hardrive

Thanks guys

150 Posts

September 10th, 2011 20:00

There are videos on YouTube showing the process.  It takes about 3 minutes.  You power everything down, unplug the psu, unscrew four screws on the back of the case, unplug the modular power connector and slide the old psu out.  You then remove the plastic mounting from the old psu (held on by either two or four screws, and reverse the process.  You can pay a tech to come do it, but I found it easier than installing ram, graphics cards, or even hard drives.  Good luck.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2011 22:00

I see, but would you have to rewire the entire computer as well, or just replace the psu? I thought more powerful psu's use different wiring?

Thanks

4 Posts

September 10th, 2011 22:00

Also would you have to go in BIOS and assign what item needs what amount of power?

No Events found!