Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

March 13th, 2012 07:00

Looking for Upgrade - Dead GTX 280M

I've got two GTX 280M's running in an SLI configuration as my discrete graphics in an Alienware m17x, and an nVidia Geforce 9400 as the integrated graphics chip.

However, booting normally (using discrete graphics) results in a completely black screen. The computer boots and runs fine when booted into integrated graphics, ensured by literally removing the 280M's. 

Now, I'm pretty sure that one of, or both of, the cards have hardware issues and have essentially died.

The cards are a pretty old model, and it'll be hard to get a new one in a hurry. 

So I'm wondering what possibilities there are to upgrade? Price isn't a huge worry, and I'm very capable of doing all the installations myself.

In summary, what should I be looking at to replace a GTX280M?

Cheers.

Computer Spec:
Intel Quad Core Extreme QX9300
Dual nVidia GTX280M running in SLI
8GB RAM 
Windows 7 64-bit

March 13th, 2012 07:00

Oh, should've said - if anyone has an alternative explanation for booting into a completely black screen, please post. I'd love to hear other ideas as I'm well and truly out myself.

1.2K Posts

March 13th, 2012 09:00

well as bad as it sounds  it more sounds liek driver issues  , try booting into safe mode  with the 280M's so in reality disable the onboard in the biosso it forces .. if this works .... driver issue.. if fails .... open er up remove the secondary card(right side of keyboard )if looking @ screen then try and post i know this  is a pain but honestly the card can be removed in 30 minutes if that . if that done work again try safemode .....  as for replacing the cards it gonna be directly from dell or ebay since there aint no aftermarket like NCIX or NEWEGG that sell laptop cards

March 13th, 2012 14:00

I can't even do that. When booting into the 280M's, there's a completely black screen - POST doesn't even show up. I've already done the removal of the second card then attempted to reboot, and nothing changes - no POST, no screen, nothing.

1.2K Posts

March 13th, 2012 15:00

/headesk i wish i could remeber if the card itself was the same for both sides.. i know the heatsink isnt but what i was gonna say was change the heatsink around (apply new thermal paste if pad is damaged)  and try the secondary as primary ,  the only reason i mention this is to rule out a motherboard issue  but this is at your own risk but if you already tore it apart im sure your capable of verifying if the actual card is the same.

No Events found!