Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2016 15:00

Loud Fan Noise (Alienware R5 Aurora Desktop)

Hi I have recently purchased an Alienware Aurora R5 Desktop for gaming.

It has 1070 GTX graphics, 32 GB RAM and i7 CPU.

The PC itself is great and if I play movies/music or do internet surfing it is very quiet.

But if I try to do any games with it the fan noise becomes unbearably high... almost like an aircraft taking off.

I have updated my BIOS and DELL technician has replaced all the fans inside PC but they don't help at all.

Isn't there any way you can help me? Thank you in advance!!

-Peter-

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

September 24th, 2016 01:00

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQja1nOV7t8:550:0]

see a different but identical post here: Aurora-R5, Loud PSU fan with qwotes:

@MagR5 @Okumam > the latest forum advice is to - within your 30day return window - contact Dell & initiate the full return of your PC; when the Rep asks for the reason for the return, tell them 'it's too noisy'; you do not want a replacement power supply, since you doubt it will cure the issue & the downtime trying to effect a warranty swap with the same part will work to shorten your return window etc; the Rep, now painted into a corner, should then be open to a partial refund of about $50. If you do it right, you should be able to secure a ~$50 refund, & then shop for a new power supply or look for a different fix for the noisy one there. Walk into your verbal transaction with them, prepared to actually return it as a last resort, then afterwards order a new desktop with their 850 this go around if it suits you while seeking a discount off of the new one for your troubles. Most owners have learned by now that a live chat or call-in sale can secure a discount off of a new item, where using their simple online checkout by yourself can not. Good luck

Recommendation to receive a PSU exchange from Dell free-of-charge:

I use my Aurora R5 with an i7 7600 and GTX 1070 mainly for VR with a HTC Vive and had the same issue with the 460W PSU fan revving up and down all the time without load to the machine (!) and opened a case with Dell online support. In the process I could prove that the PSU behavior is a systematic failure, which can be reproduced as follows :

If you run an ePSA diagnostic self-test on DOS / bios level (press F12 repeatedly while booting your PC) during the part "memory test" the PSU fan will do the known revving up noises. To make sure it is not the CPU or casing fans you can run the test with open casing, the PSU fan sounds diffently.

In Windows 10 if you open up "Steam VR" usually the PSU revvs down, but as soon as you close (!) Steam VR the PSU fan revvs up like crazy for at least one full minute without any load to the machine.

Yesterday the Dell support confirmed they got the same systematic results and agreed to send a technicial and exchange the PSU at my home free of charge under warranty.

During the exchange I will have a close look if the swap it 1:1 or replaced it with a different PSU type.

if your nuisance power supply is model D460AM, the above remedy / method implies you might receive a repeat offender if they send back another D460AM

the 460w is running women & children from the room seeking shelter, & causing heaps of grown men to seek relief in Dell forums ... contact Dell after you read this, demand justice

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN4uG0GtPGY:550:0]

@1:30

(we're famous @John)

Aurora R5 Loudest Power Supply Fan Ever 460watt Video   

IMG_2604%20-%20Copy%20(2).jpg

the offensive creature

non Compliance no 80Plus efficiency rating

2480.comply 1.JPG

do not settle for a repeat offender exchange unit

demand the 80Bronze rated D460EM or your $ back

2 Posts

August 16th, 2016 22:00

I have a similar(?) problem as well. GTX 1070, 16GB RAM, i5 CPU without liquid cooling.

It sounds like a large fan spins up and then stops after 60 seconds or so. What's most puzzling: I don't see fan RPMs increase when looking at Thermal Controls in Alienware Command Center. The fan noise doesn't kick on during particularly high CPU tasks. In fact, it doesn't happen during games but rather when I close a game and am exiting from full-screen mode back to Windows.

I don't have an answer, but just want to chime in that I'm hearing a loud noise as well and haven't been able to figure out the cause.

August 16th, 2016 22:00

Is it liquid cooled ?

2 Posts

August 17th, 2016 06:00

Mine (i5-6400) is not liquid cooled.

20 Posts

August 17th, 2016 07:00

Is it liquid cooled? Either way just adjust your Fan curve in Thermal controls and it should help tremendously

19 Posts

August 17th, 2016 07:00

Have you tried 3rd party fan control programs to create fan curves?

The loud fan issue appears to be common among NON-liquid cooled units. My unit should be delivered this Friday- ill be running many tests on upgrades. I ordered a base ($799) unit so I can upgrade it on my own.

August 18th, 2016 00:00

mine is liquid cooled. the noise begins as soon as I press the button to start the machine

20 Posts

August 18th, 2016 12:00

Adjust your fan curve in thermal controls

24 Posts

August 18th, 2016 23:00

I just put a Corsair H60 liquid cooler in my R5 and couldn't be happier. Way too loud and frequent temperatures around 80°C with the stock cooler.

August 19th, 2016 17:00

Yes, it is liquid cooling. When the speed of fan goes down, the sound becomes louder and unbearable. I can hear the sound when I am outside of my room. I feel the fan isn't functional well or it touches something while working.

September 25th, 2016 14:00

Thank you cass - I'm going down that path, but both the return process or replacement process have yet to officially be started (waiting on support to respond with next steps).

The Aurora though is still in my possession and I am worried it could fly away, The PSU is preparing for take-off at any moment.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2017 04:00

I had this same issue with my R5 that I had just got at the beginning of November 2016. The computer was fine for about a month when all the sudden one of the fans was constantly LOUD from the moment you turned it on to the moment you turned it off.

For my computer, it turned out to be the very top fan - it was running full blast 24/7 and apparently that was the problem. It wasn't adjusting to the sensors - just on max RPM all the time. After talking to Dell for a little bit in order to get the exact fan specs, they revealed to me that this fan is a re-furbished fan put in all of their R5's that aren't liquid cooling.....

Anyway, the solution was pretty simple - I bought a new top fan and installed it myself in minutes. Now the computer is quiet as a mouse, and I can actually go on and adjust the fan speeds. Previously with the broken one, no matter what I did I couldn't change the speed. It was always blasting.

The only thing that confuses me is that if you had someone replace all of the fans it should have fixed the problem, because its not really a technical issue with the computer - The fans it comes with are just garbage. Replacing them...especially ALL of them should have definitely fixed the problem unless they flat out lied about changing the fans.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents - Thanks and hope it help someone having a similar issue.

No Events found!