Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2013 15:00

Low Frequency Hum

Hi:

Two week old X51. Very cool machine!

Went away for two days and had it turned off-turned it back on and noticing now a low frequency hum coming from the bottom area of the machine. If I touch the machine (just slightly) or tilt it a little the hum goes away.

Is this something to be worried about? Should I pop the side to see where the sound is coming from (can I pop the side? noob here.)

Thanks!!

ps-also noob question here. what is the difference between the hdmi port near the top and the hdmi port on the graphics card? Which should I be using.

901 Posts

December 29th, 2013 04:00

Hello, is it a R1 or R2.

The R1's had a known problem with the early edition CPU fans producing a humming or whining noise, didn't annoy everyone, but some people found it quite distracting.

Your problem may be different as you mentioned that it diminishes if you touch or move it.

Very easy to take the side cover off, one screw at the rear and slide the left (if looking from front) side panel towards the front of the computer.

Don't  pull the side cover off roughly, there is a wire attached to run the side light and you will break it, take your time and disconnect the wire where the two white plugs meet.

While your there check and see if there is a small black plastic attachment inbetween the GPU and computer frame, that is a shipping bracket and should be removed before using, maybe that is loose and making a noise.

If you do remove the GPU, be sure to tuck the power cords out of the way of the GPU fan blades so you don't cook your card

2 Posts

December 29th, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the quick reply-will definitely remove the side soon and see what is happening inside.

Its a hum, but also more of a vibration/hum. That is, if I hold the machine in the air the hum goes away. If the machine is sitting on my desk I can feel the hum through the wood on the desk. Does that make sense? Could it be an issue with the psu?

thanks!!!!

No Events found!