Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2011 18:00

M14x - Microphone Dead On Arrival

Originally written 08/19/2011

Just purchased an m14X Laptop less than 21 days ago,

-Cost: $1850

- Downloaded Skype last night; MICROPHONE DOES NOT WORK.

Webcam is fine, microphone will only pick up "something" if I tap it with my fingers, If i talk or scream it does not. Even if im a few inches away from the Microphone, it still doesn't work.

What i've tried: I have uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio driver, downloaded latest drivers from Dell and Realtek. Neither of them would fix the problem. I have checked device manager, Microphone is enabled and "Working properly", I have gone to control panel and change settings on the Microphone Volume, as well as the dB level (all the way to 30) to make it more sensitive. I have disabled options on Realtek Software, such as noise cancellation, etc. None of em work.

Microphone "pick-up bar" works, green bar will spike if I tap microphone with my fingers, If i talk, scream, yell it does not. All done with no surround noise. I've tried Window's recording program, Skype, and MSN.

I then tried using the AlienRespawn Discs I made the day I received my laptop. Restored it, still .. same problem.

I've been on the phone for 3 hours. These are my options according to Dell:

Send a tech with a replacement screen (mic is embedded). This mean I will probably get a refurbished part.. or even if it's a new part, this makes me iffy about the quality of the whole product. Less than 21 days and already replacing parts.

Return my Laptop, wait 2 weeks for refund, which i'll then have to reorder, and wait for it to get built. This way, I won't have a laptop for work for a month. Customer service did not guarenteed either, the price I originally paid for it. So.. I could be paying more. What's worse, I opend a Credit Line (DPA) which offered no interest for the first 12 months of your first purchase... And since I would have to repurchase, I won't even have the no-interest offer anymore.

INCREDIBLE!

I just wish I was sent a new laptop, and once I receive it, I would re-send this defective one. However, Tech Support said, since it is only a microphone issue, they couldn't do that... That I would either have the screen replaced or return my laptop....

August 25th, 2011 18:00

UPDATE:

I ordered a Screen on Friday, August 19th. It was a new screen since I was within the 21 days. I set up an appointment with a tech for Wednesday the 24th, unfortunately I got home 15 minutes late. So the technician left. He did not even call me before getting here. Anyway, he mentioned before setting the appointment that he had 5 days before the parts were to be returned.

I called him back today Thursday the 25th and he said that he shipped the new screen back to Dell and that I had to call Dell one more time to set-up a new appointment! I just called, and now they will only send me a Refurbished Screen and not a New screen since i'm past the 21 days..

So now, I dont know what to do, I can't accept a refurbished screen. I am waiting on Chris' research on this issue. I hope it gets ressolved, otherwise I would be forced to escalate the complain to the BBB and other entities.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 26th, 2011 07:00

Check your private message I just sent.

August 26th, 2011 09:00

Chris, I havent received a private msg. I do however read what you requested thru my email account. The information is correct.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 26th, 2011 10:00

Got it. Thanks.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2011 12:00

I have exactly the same problem! Is there anything that can solve this problem?

7 Posts

September 8th, 2011 14:00

Same problem here with my M11xR3.  Mic stopped working altogether with all apps.  Re-installed the drivers and tried all the different settings that could effect the mic.  I haven't contacted customer service yet but I have a strong feeling this is a hardware issue.  What a shame. The mic is embedded into the camera into the monitor which makes this a stupid expensive repair.

3 Posts

September 25th, 2011 06:00

same here. sounds not a hardware problem. still, I see that some other people got fixed by replacing the part, so I'm a bit puzzled here. forum.notebookreview.com/.../594168-mic-problems.html

1 Message

November 22nd, 2011 05:00

Hello,

Chris, I have the exact same problem. However, I was not lucky enough to have spotteted in 21 days. I bought this laptop in August, and left to study abroad right after. I am not going to be returning to the US any time soon. Im here in the UAE, Abu Dhabi and will be in Madrid during Christmas. I was wondering if you can assist me in finding a solution. Alienwares are not cheap, and it was a personal investment. Could you please provide possible solutions?

Thank you,

Andres

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 08:00

As I mentioned before, I had the same problem. But mine was fixed replacing the part. Andy, hope you will find other solution here

5 Posts

February 27th, 2012 09:00

i have te same problem with my new m14x which is 1 week old...can u send the message to me...

March 17th, 2012 21:00

Hey i have the same issue as the OP and rest of you guys. It's been the same issue since arrival

1 Message

March 23rd, 2013 16:00

I have the same issue as OP as well.  I haven't spotted this issue until just now because I haven't tried Skyping with this laptop since I got it (been 4 months).  I'm running Windows 8 64bit with the M14x R2

5 Posts

March 24th, 2013 05:00

when your machine is under full cover warranty then is no need to worry. Just  call the dell toll free number and follow the instructions, give a complaint and thats it. the dell engineer will come to ur place and will replace the abnormal part with a new one. So grab the phone and call DELL ASAP.

No Events found!