Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2013 12:00

M17x-R4, BSOD, NVKFLT 116

I bought my M17x around a year ago, everything runs fine on it. All until yesterday when I was playing The Witcher 2, got a blue screen with the error code 116, and NVKFLT at the end. So i though nothing of it, booted back up and started playing Sleeping Dog, Skyrim, Borderlands, and within an hour I would keep getting the same Blue Screen error. I started looking into it online and found some things that I should do first to find out what the problem is.  First I ran a boot recovery test, in the load up screen press F12 and run a diagnostic, everything passed. I ran a scan of C, also passed. I updated my BIOS from A02 to A12. Ran Dell's diagnostics. Passed/No problems found. Did full system Scan with Norton (I know it but I didnt know at the time). Did full system Scan with Kapersky ALL PASSED. So now im at the end, I just bought a 1TB External Drive off of Amazon, I am going to take all the steam games and some important music, and picture files....the usual, Once I get everything on there, Iam just going to do a full system factory restore. But before I do the system restore, is there anything you guys suggest I try out?

3 Posts

February 21st, 2014 07:00

I was searching for the same answer, cause I had got the same problem.

I did the following to resolve my problem and it works just fine!

Create a registry key in Windows to change the TDR settings to a higher amount, so that Windows will allow for a longer delay before TDR process starts.

1. Open Regedit from Run or DOS.
2. In Windows 8.1, navigate to the correct registry key area, to create the new key. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/GraphicsDrivers.
There will probably one key in there called DxgKrnlVersion there as a DWord.
3. Right click and select to create a new key REG_DWORD, and name it TdrDelay. Assign it with a new value (I tried 4 [seconds], which worked for me perfectly). It doubles the time before TDR. Then restart your PC. You need to restart the PC before the value will work.

Games like Planetside2 and Battelfield4, which caused the problem on my pc, are now just working fine again!

1 Message

March 13th, 2014 12:00

Hi, 

I use a hp envy dv7 and I did as you suggested. The only difference is that tdr BSOD is delayed by 60 seconds. What do you suggest I do

thanks

3 Posts

March 17th, 2014 04:00

Hi I had the same issue with my m17x r4 I've tried everything (OS reinstall twice) without any luck, the reg key seems to work  for now but I haven't fully tested it so far. Anyway thanks for your help Szczepan , hopefully we will have proper fix for that issue soon .  

1 Message

April 1st, 2014 15:00

Same thing over here, just delays the BSOD. Not actual fix. Im gettin' really mad with this bug or whatever this is... and there is no logicall explanation either

3 Posts

April 30th, 2014 14:00

Well, unfortunately  the GPU died two days ago I think the problem was there from the beginning. So I think the TDR delay does not make any difference. Good luck to every one any way.

5 Posts

November 26th, 2014 09:00

edited cause the regit fix only worked for one day

3 Posts

August 14th, 2015 12:00

I did all this, now my game freezes, goes white and the the blue screen then comes after the 60 seconds. :( I try ending it in task manager before the 60 seconds but the blue screen still comes.

Sometimes I can play for hours before it happens, then it happens every game, even before I start playing, just sat on the home page/ garage, other times it happened quite early. All hardware tests say everything's ok, and yesterday it started happening every few minutes after playing for a few hours, I then did a system restore (because something, I think an auto update id just let install messed my sound up, again, another fault with this laptop) and after the system restore it stopped blue screening until today, so suggests it something software, maybe? I dont know.

I really feel like crying, this is such an expensive laptop and the worst ive had. My first alienware, I will never buy one again.

No Events found!