Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2017 06:00

M18x r2

I noticed (while I was busy) some info about updating m18x r2  to win 10.  The posts didn't seem all too positive.

This makes me a bit squirmish about trying it since I donnot have the win 7 install media, *I know I could get one).

None the less ,  are there any success stories?  I recognize that some firmware amenities with the win 10 wont work

with m18's 3940 xm, and the 2x675m's  will not benefit from any directx improvements that are included with the win 10

OS.  

What about it?   Also I guess a new RAM cfg would find its way to my list-  I have only 16gb  now.(1866mhz).

209 Posts

July 17th, 2017 12:00

Allright then  This is just about what I was hearing  before  thx.

1.2K Posts

July 17th, 2017 06:00

had  no  issues  with my M18X R2  I was  running  windows 8.1 tho.. which your  machine  will have windows 8 drivers available .. that being said.. I upgraded right after windows 10 was released  without problems..

I was running modded bios,  980M's 3920XM  32 gig ram  2tb SSD (4X 512gig)     and ran rock solid for almost a year on windows 10 without a hiccup ..

just remember most of the components  on the system are now in legacy support  from the manufactures.. like Nvidia drivers.. intel drivers etc..  so windows 10 will have most drivers of what you need to be updated and  if   not the manufacture  of said  part will be the   best option ..  that's what I did when I  updated.. honestly tho I  found when I had my M18x it  ran a lot better with windows 7 pro (due to ram limitations home failed) then 8 or 10.. but that's just my opinion.. 

901 Posts

July 17th, 2017 07:00

You may experience some issue with the command keys (top right of keyboard) but if you find the correct version of Command centre that can be fixed, the only other issue is the eject button might not work on your dvd player, this can usually be fixed with the last bios update dell issued to the 18R2 (it's hard to find) and updating dvd firmware. Other than that win 10 runs fine on 18R2

July 17th, 2017 14:00

i loled when i saw his last Post marked as correct Answer. classy.

No Events found!