Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2017 00:00

Machine unbootable after Aurora R5 BIOS 1.0.11 installed

I got prompted to update to a new BIOS today so I went ahead and installed. Big mistake! The update has made my machine unbootable. Mostly, I get BSOD "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO". After spending 2+ hours on the phone with Alienware support and several hours afterwards, it seems like my only option left is a complete system reinstall.

The BIOS version installed was 1.0.11. I'm running Windows 10. There are two drives: the boot drive is a LITEON 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. The secondary drive is a 2TB Seagate hard disk.

One curious thing: sometimes when I boot into the BIOS setup, the "M.2 PCIe SSD" row shows the Seagate drive! And sometimes it shows the LITEON SSD. I wonder if the new BIOS has a problem with recognizing the LITEON SSD for some reason.

Has anyone else had any trouble with this new BIOS?

Beware!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2017 12:00

Try a new download. Unblock the download in Windows File Explorer. Verify the checksum.

Write down all your options settings or take phone pics.

See if it will re-flash over itself. Try to do it from DOS/BIOS itself. My Aurora-R6 has some new BIOS Recovery Tools and looks like you can finally flash from BIOS itself. Might have to temporarily which from UEFI to Legacy to get USB-Flash drive to read file.

If it flashes, be sure to use the 'Reset to Defaults" option first to clear any garbage. Then, edit any settings back.

March 14th, 2017 23:00

Thanks for the answer. I was able to flash back to 1.0.10 from within the BIOS (turns out I had this .exe lying around on an accessible drive). Didn't help. Maybe too much corruption from some process (or all the troubleshooting attempts). Flashed back to 1.0.11. Reinstalled from scratch :-(

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 15th, 2017 00:00

I usually use flash-drives (formatted as FAT or FAT32) for firmware updates. From DOS or within BIOS itself.

Nice to finally see in-BIOS flashing on the Auroras line. Even said something about BIOS Recovery. Not sure how much of that is Dell's/Pegatron's doing and how much is just UEFI tech.

Well, at least it sounds like it's working now. It's always nice when your motherboard and BIOS are functioning correctly. If you mean you Nuke-and-Paved and re-installed Windows-10 from scratch ... well, that's a good thing. Keep it lean.

I suggest a full Macrium Reflect Image (with Verify on) after you get it built-back-up perfect.

No Events found!