Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2011 05:00

New Name Plate for M11XR2

Must to my surprise, a chat with Alienware support reveals that there are no provisions for obtaining a replacement or a new engraved name plate for a system.  Apparently the only time that you can obtain an engraved name plate is when you first order.  Therefore if you purchase one from the Dell Outlet, you are stuck with a system with someone else's name on it.  This could become a significant problem should your laptop be lost or stolen. 

I see that there is an unanswered post from last month where someone apparently found information that a replacement plate could be ordered through one of the support personnel in this club but since the post is over a week old and has not been answered, I assume that they were also sadly mistaken that there was some means of ordering a new plate with the new owners information. 

Should anyone have information contrary to the above it would be greatly appreciated if they would share it. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 5th, 2011 06:00

I would check with either you point of sales contact or call the alien ware support line and explain the situation. I know they sent me a new name plate for m17xr3 because my sales guy wasn't able to change the order, which took a few weeks to get to me, but i did get it. I dont think it be an issue as long as your hardware still under warranty.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 5th, 2011 07:00

Well you might be able to order a generic name plate if you had the part number. I was able to find one for the m17xr3 (P7H63 Generic M17x-R3 Nameplate). Maybe Chris can get you the part number you need to order a generic one. Granted its not your custom message, but its got to be better then what might be on there now.

4 Posts

May 5th, 2011 07:00

I think you missed the piece about this being ordered from Dell Outlet.  

According to the individual at sales support I chatted with, they only have the option to order the name plate when the initial sale is made. 

I have the chat logs from my session with Sales support and tried to past part of the conversation (removing the individuals name of course) but it did not work.

I can find no documented means of ordering a replacement name plate for a system purchased from Dell Outlet or if you buy one direct from a previous owner. 

4 Posts

May 5th, 2011 10:00

That would be great.  Almost anything would be better than walking around with a computer with someone else's name on it.  

UPDATE 5-10/2011

Well, I was not as successful as others of you.  In fact, based on my conversations with multiple individuals at Alienware support, both sales and customer service, I  was assured that there is absolutely no way to order a new or replacement name plate for my M11X2.  I was assured that the ONLY way to get the engraved nameplate was when you ordered a new computer.   I also found out that you pay a service charge, recycling fee, should you desire to return the computer which I then attempted to do.  

As good as my previous experiences with Dell Customer support have been in the past, this one has me considering alternative vendors. I guess my lesson learned here is never try and save money if you want to be 100% satisfied, no matter how good the product seems to be. 

I hope they send me a customer satisfaction survey to complete but even if I complete it, I have little confidence that anyone in any position of authority or responsibility will read it.  That may be a bridge too far for what Dell Customer Service has evolved into. 

4 Posts

May 8th, 2011 16:00

If this isn't your first alienware, you can take the plat off an older one and swap them out.

Dell's shipping me out an M14x replacement for a defective M15x I had purchased on October.

When they sent me notification of the nex build, I noticed that the nameplate was generic.

I tried to get them to do a change on the new build, but no luck. That's when the tech suggested I just swap out plates.

So, here I am with the old plate removed and sitting beside me -- while I wait for the new M14x to arrive.

GBH

19 Posts

May 9th, 2011 16:00

I had a MASSIVE problem with those "wonderful" customer support people in India, trying to understand that I wanted to buy a new nameplate for the m17x I bought off a guy on Craigslist.

Was literally on the phone for hours as they kept xferring me, over and over and over, to other departments, each time promising that "this will be the right department". (insert Indian accent).

Finally couldn't take it anymore and hung up on them when the final guy promised to, yet again, xfer me to the right department, only to put me on hold for several minutes, and reanswer my call forgetting that it was me, and asking "may I help you"? He was quite embarrassed to find that it was still me on the phone. So much for another one these peoples promises to xfer me to the right department.

ANYHOW...I stated on an Alienware post on Facebook, that I loved my m17x but, the customer service is some of THE WORST ever. To my surprise, a few hours later I had a private message from a guy from Alienware asking if he could possibly help.

Told him my prob. He said he'd get it done for me. 3 days later, there was a brand new nameplate at my door.

Thank you Mr Arthur L. at Alienware!!!!

You know, this is such an easy thing for them to make available to their customers, that you'd think they'd have someplace on their website where you could order these things. Stupid....

May 17th, 2012 19:00

I'm fighting this battle right now, myself.  Dell keeps insisting it doesn't happen, even though I have showed them this, and other, threads where it DID happen. I just made a post on the Alienware facebook page, hoping that I'll have the same results as you, Painkiller.

348 Posts

May 17th, 2012 19:00

Shoot Chris-M a message, if your in the US he can help, outside the US, well tough!.

15 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 20:00

I believe this should be an item for purchase at there website.  I would think they would sell a few of these nameplates. Even if you had to prove you owned the laptop.  

348 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 05:00

I tried putting this point across to the executive support (american corp guy) that many people change their "clan" in gaming, so would want replacements, people buy from the outlet, buy second hand etc. I got no where. You'd think they would be happy to grab the money, but nooooo.

One rep told me "only the US facility has the laser cutting tools", so my machine was built in China, which is a country where I'd say a huge percentage of the latest technology is made, and they tried to tell me they don't have laser engravers. I'd be willing to bet, the US engraver was made in china :P

7 Posts

August 7th, 2012 16:00

As Ceno said, send Chris M a message.  I found his handle else where in the forums, and when all else failed he was able to help.  There are a few left and around that still have the Alienware spirit.  He always answers messages and I am glad he is around.  I have now my gamer tag on my M14X r2.   :-).

No Events found!