Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2010 18:00

Nvidia GTX 260m Freeze M17x

Hi!

Well, first I have try everything I could think of to solve my problem and now I don't know what to do to solve it so I came here to ask ! Hope you can help me.

Here is the symptom. I start my computer. It open right and there's is no problem. I can go use it for 1 hours or 2, then go away, comme back use it again for like 1 hour. Or It can be only for 2 hours, it depend. Then, in order, here's what happen:

first the background freeze (I can only move my mouse).

Then the mouse freeze. 

Then the screen goes black.

Stay black for like 30 seconds or 1 minutes.

Then the screen flash 2 or 3 times.

And it work again. There is a pop up bubble of windows in the bottom right that say : The videocard driver was not responding, it stopped. (That's a translation from the french so it's not exactly this, and there is the number of the driver's version wich is the last one)

And that's it, after it done it once, it do it again each 5, 10 or 30 minutes until I restart my computer and then it take hours again. Pretty annoying.

Now, I've tried everything, uninstall my antivirus, uninstall almost all my program, remove all program from the startup and some of the service except the nividia service. It does nothing, it freeze anyway. But if I removed the nivida service it do not freeze anymore. So I tought that the problem was from the hardware. So I've run a FULL hardware diagnostic. And nothing, all my hardware passed the test. So I update the last bios and all I could do. Also I've tried to run only on the integrated graphic card and not the Hybrid one. It do not bug this way. So I thing this issue come from the SLI and well I don't know how to solve it. An hardware issu that the diagnostic tools could not see perhaps?

Well thank you if you can answer me!

I've got an Alienware M17x with a Nivida GTX 260m graphic card. Windows 7 Pro.

1.2K Posts

December 7th, 2010 18:00

prolly been tried but this sounds more like driver corruption more then a bad card if it is SLI try single card only see if it does it .. also to rule out if it is hardware  download and run furmark this will run gpu @ max more then anything else will if you do have SLI make sure to select multi gpu if you  dont get  pixels tears or anyhting else  abnormal it maybe a driver issue.. try latest from nvidia.com  but before installing new drivers try using driver cleaner to remove everything from old driver not just install or remove since parts do remain  there is somehting else to try but cant think of it atm but will post when i do remeber 

2 Posts

December 9th, 2010 15:00

Ok thank you,

So I tried the furmark stability test, no problem it run smooth, So I tried to run only on on graphic card, The GTX 260m one and on the other one. It bug again. So I tried what you say to uninstall all the graphic driver, run driver cleaner, and after that I reinstalled the latest driver. It was perfect for one day. And it bug again! So I think that this is really a driver problem now. But I uninstalled completely and reinstalled and it take a while before the bug so maybe I have something on my computer that corrupt the graphic driver? I can't think of what to do next... Another idea?

Thanks

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 09:00

Having the exact same problem since months now (same cards). Used several drivers incl the latest one via nvidia.com and they all kernel crash. After the 5th or 6th crash in a row, the driver is'nt able to recover itself anymore and i end up looking at a blue error screen. Already lost a lot of work due to these crashes as they happen at the most random times. A fix for this is more than welcome, thank you :)

Ps. clean installed w7 64bit & latest bios version is installed.

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 13:00

I also have the same issues and have tried replacing parts in the laptop, using different drivers, and everything.  The only solution I have heard about but not tested myself is reverting to old 180 drivers..  Has there been any support for this issue?  It's not worth buying a laptop with this much power if you have to run it using the 9400 video card!

19 Posts

March 4th, 2011 06:00

I have checked on my system and am having the same problem but with sum other problems as well. Am having problems with the lan drivers and the bluetooth. I have been having problems with my system for over a year. been replaced several times and the motherboard has been replaced once. The tech has bricked the system once and the depot has scrached and chipped the case so bad when i got it back  it had to be replaced. So it doesn't matter who fixes it. It still is going to be messed up. Fix it yourself if not under warranty. And make sure you have everything in e-mail and writing.

I have done a fresh install of Win 7 as of yesterday and installed of the the drivers (the Dell Drivers) and then tried the other drivers(NVidia, Intel,..etc..) still having problems. Have concluded (about 8 months ago) that Dell is the Problem. They have called me a LIAR, said I didn't know what I was doing, (I'm a tech myself going for Masters) Techs on phone support will not listen when you try and talk to them or even get back with your e-mails except for one tech I have talked to.

Dell has just bit off more then they could chew with Aleinware. They should not have messed with it. It just keeps getting worse. Just like the rest of their pc's.

Specs:

M15X Black

Q 840M

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

4096 MB DDR3 Dual Channel

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 20:00

I have a similar problem: screen freezes from time to time, sometimes in black, sometimes with the last image I was seeing. This began to happen when I installed dell drivers for nVidia 257.38. I can't install drivers from nVidia website as they crash. It worked fine with previous dell drivers.

Specs:

Alienware M17X

nVidia GTX 260M

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 20:00

Here is an answer I found interesting although haven't checked it yet: forums.nvidia.com/index.php

Apparently this card accumulates dust after 2 years of use and you have to clean the vents. Worth a try!

No Events found!