praveenvj
2 Iron

Random freezing with full speed CPU fan for few seconds

I encounter this at least 1 to 2 times in a day. Just did not get around to reporting it. 

I am seeing a funny behavior with my Alienware 15 R2 where after using it for some time, it suddenly freezes for 2 to 3 seconds and the CPU Fan start rotating at full speed and then everything returns to normal. 

When frozen, the mouse does not respond, keyboard does not react, etc. 

This happens for just a few seconds and always the CPU FAN start rotating at full speed (based on noise it makes). Even if laptop is idle and nothing is being done, this happens. 

Is there something wrong with my CPU Fan or is this some kind of programmed test running in the background that I am not aware off. 

6 Replies
Alienware-Eimy

Re: Random freezing with full speed CPU fan for few seconds

Hi praveenvj‌,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date. 

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let me know if you receive any errors. 

Also try running a CPU stress test using the Support Assist tool to check how high the CPU temperature goes and if the same freezing happens. If you do not have Support Assist installed in your computer, click here for the download link. Follow the steps below to run the stress test. 

• Download and install Dell Support Assist
  • Open Dell Support Assist
  • Click Checkup
  • Click Scan a Specific Device
  • Click System Devices
  • Select the CPU Stress Test and Run it. This Test will load the CPU and Ram to 100% and test it. It will make enough heat to determine if the processor is overheating or not.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
praveenvj
2 Iron

I do not think this is a heating issue. The fan just triggers for few seconds and then turns off / goes back to normal. It cannot cool a CPU in such short interval. 

Also this seems to happen when nothing in particular is being executed on the laptop. 

0 Kudos
Alienware-Eimy

But anyway, please run both tests and let me know the results. Thank you!

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
praveenvj
2 Iron

Ran both tests and it passed with no errors reported. 

0 Kudos
Alienware-Eimy

I spoke to engineering ans looks like it is normal. They have seen it in our Alienware 15 R2s too. It's a small switch that happens when the BIOS adjusts the processor and fan profile.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
praveenvj
2 Iron

Is there a way to disable this freeze